commercial electric recessed lighting problem

Old 10-01-04, 09:49 PM
rjc
Visiting Guest
commercial electric recessed lighting problem

I have a 5" Recessed Lighting Kit from Commercial Electric. The junction box is directly mounted on top of the housing can (and not seperate and connected by armored cable to the housing can). On the junction box it says that one can only use 'flexible conduit' to run to the power supply. Does this mean that I have to use flexible metal conduit to run to my power source plus out of the junction box to othe connecting lights?. If so, why is this?

Thanks RJC

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-04, 04:45 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Normally that warning is referring only to the wiring between the junction box and the can, and that wiring is usually supplied by the manufacturer. What's the exact model number of your can?

Old 10-02-04, 12:11 PM
rjc
Visiting Guest
RE: recessed lighting

the unit is Commercial Electric 5" Recessed LIghting Kit Non-IC Housing for new or remodel construction K2 # 147 772

Thanks,
RJC

Old 03-21-06, 01:55 PM
J
Same question...

Although this thread is stale, I have the same question. And the same fixture. More specifically I was wondering:

a) Can I use regular NM-90 with these cans if I use an appropriate strain relief clamp?

b) If I have to use FMC, can I run the NM inside the FMC and just use a short stretch of conduit over to the joist? (My copy of the electrical code shows something like this being done for water heaters. How would the strapping work out where the FMC ends?)

c) Whether I'd have to run the conduit back to the switch box.

Any response would be welcome.

Old 03-21-06, 03:06 PM
J
Assuming NM cable is allowed at all in your area, you can use it for this application.

For best advice, I would suggest that you update your profile with your location.

Old 03-21-06, 03:14 PM
J
Updated my location

I've updated my profile with my location (Ontario). Thanks for the response.

So, just to clarify, the "flexible conduit only" is likely just the manufactuters $.02? Assuming, I'm allowed to do normal wiring with NMSC, I should be able to run it to these cans?