to the pro's

Old 10-02-04, 08:23 AM
wallkicker
Visiting Guest
Question to the pro's

I am going to wire a ceiling fan/with light. I want this to work in conjuction with two three way switches. The fan is in the middle of the set-up. I am going to supply power to one of the switches with 14-2, run 14-3 to the light, and 14-3 to the other switch. This is how I would do it for a light only set-up. The catch is this, I would like the switches to be double-toggle switches so I can operate the fan and/or light individually from either location. I would think this would change how I would normally wire a three way with just a light. What is the best solution?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-04, 10:18 AM
If you want two three-way switches you need to add another set of travellers between the two locations. You can add an additional piece of 14/2 since you already have a neutral (hot if you're running a reverse) in your 14/3. Make sure you mark the white wire you're using form the new piece of 14/2 so you remember it's not a neutral.

Old 10-02-04, 02:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This is not as simple as adding a another 2 conductor cable. The Code requires ALL conductors of a circuit be run together.

I feel it is easier to run power to S1 then 3 wire between switches and then 2 wire to the light. Even with this method you still could not switch both the fan and light.

PS, does the fan box have enough CU IN. capacity for all your wires?

Old 10-02-04, 02:48 PM
I know that this "all conductors run together" statement has been made many times, often even by me. But I am now going to begin the long tedious process of correcting this myth. It used to be true, but since the 1999 code, it no longer is. All conductors only need be run together if run in metal conduit or into metal boxes. If you are using NM-B cable and plastic boxes, and if your area is using the 1999 or 2002 NEC, then all conductors do not need to be run together.

For anyone wishing to research this further, please check out the differences in Article 300.3(B) between the 1996 and 1999 codes.