Burying the power lines to the garage

Old 10-02-04, 08:23 AM
Dakota Kid
Visiting Guest
Burying the power lines to the garage

I own an older home with a detached garage at the back of the lot. Because the trees are starting to interfere with the power line that runs from the house to the garage, I want to bury that line. My plan is to:

1) Rent a trenching machine and cut a trench 18 inches deep between the garage and the house.

2) Bury the new line(s), and get the conduit in place, leaving lots of extra wire on both ends so that

3) the electrician can come in and make the final connections.

There are two lines running from the garage to the house, a smaller 12 gauge, and a big flat wire that I haven't climbed up there to check.

Do I need to bury two new wires, or is there some redundant wiring going on here?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-04, 02:09 PM
You're only allowed one power feed to the garage. If there are two now, then that violates current code and you'll need to cut back to one. Or perhaps one of the cables is just for a 3-way switch between the house and garage to control an outdoor light or two (which would be okay).

What you said sounds fine, but you provided few details. The depth of the trench is the only number you provided. If you could quantify more things (e.g., cable size, number of wires, size of conduit, type of conduit, size of breaker, power requirements, etc.), it would help.

Old 10-02-04, 03:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
IMO I would just bury a 1" or 1 1/4" PVC conduit from the house to the garage and let the electrician do the rest. You might also want to run another 3/4" PVC for that possible switch john mentioned, I agree that's what the other wire probably is.

Run them 18" deep with 90 deg. sweeps at both ends coming up at an appropriate location for both buildings.

Old 10-02-04, 05:37 PM
sandsmarc
Visiting Guest
Check this with your electrician and town code enforcement official, but I believe you could also run rigid metal conduit and only have to bury it 6 inches deep.