Need to verify basic subpanel installation procedure

Old 10-02-04, 02:07 PM
Need to verify basic subpanel installation procedure

I just got a GE 100 amp load center today. It will be used as a subpanel and will be located in the basement, about 15 feet away from the main panel, and attached to the concrete wall. In reference to the following picture:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...30c20000001610

...Please let me know if the following is correct:

I need to remove the crossbar at the bottom to separate the two bars. I need to install the bonding screw into the bottom screw hole on the left bar (which is labeled "bonding screw") to bond the left bar to the case. The subfeed netral is attached to the lug on the right bar, and the subfeed EGC is attached to the left bar (lug not included). For branch circuits, All EGC are then installed into the left bar and the neutrals are installed into the right bar. There is no need for a supplemental grounding bar.

One additonal question:

Do #2 cable assemblies come with a EGC that is #2 or is it smaller (ie #10). I forgot to check this out today. I am getting materials a little at a time, for installation next month.

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-04, 02:42 PM
Yes, all that is correct.

The equipment grounding conductor in #2 cable assemblies is normally smaller, and that's normally just fine.

Old 10-02-04, 04:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would not do it the way you describe.
You should NOT remove the jumper bar for the neutrals. Also do NOT install the bonding screw. Just get a new additional ground bar for your panel and attach it to the back box. This serves the same purpose and you are not altering a UL listed product such as your panel.

Old 10-02-04, 08:26 PM
Thank you for the replies. The instructions that came with it state specifically that the Neutral crossbar can be removed if the situation calls for it. Doesn't this blessing from GE imply that this is an accepted and safe practice?

Old 10-02-04, 08:31 PM
It certainly does to me.

Old 10-02-04, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by DIYNovice
Thank you for the replies. The instructions that came with it state specifically that the Neutral crossbar can be removed if the situation calls for it. Doesn't this blessing from GE imply that this is an accepted and safe practice?
Yes, it's fine. The panel was obviously engineered with that in mind, and the fact that the manual says to do it proves it.

The only issue would be if this panel ever had more then 20 neutral wires coming into it, as there appear to be 20 termination points in each buss bar, and while grounds can be doubled up (if the panel is rated for it), neutrals cannot. I doubt this will ever be an issue for you.

Old 10-03-04, 06:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It does to me as well.
I don't typically use GE panels and have never seen this suggested. Sounds like an easier way to me.