Need a little Help

Old 10-02-04, 05:54 PM
Lerxt
Visiting Guest
Need a little Help

I recently purchased a house with a barn on the property. The house electrical is fine (good enough anyway). The barn was stripped prior to being sold. The power to the barn (a 60A line) is currently turned off at the meter and the line that runs to the barn terminates in what appears to be a large Al cable hanging bare in the work room. Meaning - no breaker box at all.

I have experience adding breakers and running lines out of a box but I've never had to install the breaker box itself. If anyone could point me in the right direction for info on how to do this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Lerxt

Old 10-02-04, 06:04 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your barn requires a sub panel. However, before a subpanel can be installed, the cable that runs to the barn must be inspected to make sure that it is not damaged and that it is up to code.

You will need ground rods at the barn and a sufficiently sized sub panel. You then to add whatever circuits you need in the barn for lighting and electrical appliances.

Old 10-02-04, 06:09 PM
Lerxt
Visiting Guest
Not a problem there. Can have an inspector out this week. Only thing I want to do is remove the existing wiring that used to run to the box that isn't there anymore. The moron who owned this place before us used lamp cord in places as his wiring.

So once I get it inspected how difficult is it to hook up the sub-panel to the line coming in?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: