switch & plug wiring

Old 10-02-04, 11:58 PM
lanellecollins
Visiting Guest
switch & plug wiring

i have a wall switch that goes to the ceiling light fixture, where i now have a fan that runs most of the time. i would like to put in a second SWITCH that will run to a wall plug where i can plug in a lamp to turn off and on as i enter the room (the light on the ceiling fan is off, but the fan is running). my thought was to run switch (MAIN switch that will control not only the ceiling fan but also the switch to the plug and will usually remain ON) to switch (for the plug - so i can turn the lamp off and on as needed) to plug, but i do not seem to be able to make it work. what am i doing wrong?

Old 10-03-04, 05:10 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What doesn't work? Does the receptacle have power at all? Does the fan light continue to work? Also, is this an existing receptacle, or a new one you added?

Old 10-03-04, 06:01 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I presume that you opened the wall switch, saw some wires inside, added more wires to the receptacle that you want to switch, and now it doesn't work.

Please describe what the _original_ wire arrangement was in the switch box, and what you added.

-Jon

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: