doorbell too loud/transformer too loud

Old 10-03-04, 04:05 PM
belmontram
Visiting Guest
doorbell too loud/transformer too loud

I need your expertise -- can't get an answer from Radio Shack or Home Depot.

I put in a new buzzer-type doorbell and used a transformer with three settings -- I screwed onto the lowest -- 8 VAC and 10 watts. It is so loud I jump whenever the bell is pushed. I looked for another transformer with less power -- I found one 12 volts/3amp. I was told that VAC is volts, but how do I compare amps and watts? How can I reduce the power to the buzzer?

Also, the transformer is in the basement, but it is so noisy, you can hear it in the living room. At first I thought it was not firmly attached to the joist - but that is not it. Then I thought it was defective and replaced it with another transformer-- same thing. I know this is not typical, because the rest of the house has two chimes off of a 16 VAC/15 watt transformer and that one is silent. What causes this and can I do anything to make it stop?

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-03-04, 07:47 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Buzzers and bells are obnoxious and usually confined to an industrial setting. They once were used in homes but then a fellow invented a door chime which had a " nu tone ". The sound from the transformer is a hysteresis hum caused by the plates vibrating. They probably were not riveted together tight enough.

You indicate that you already have two chimes in the house. How many doors control these chimes? If they are both for the front door, and you added the buzzer for the rear door, why not feed the rear door to the existing chimes, using the rear door position. Or, of course, you could replace the buzzer with a new chime. Not all chimes use the same tone bars so you should be able to find one with a different sound than your current chimes.

Old 10-04-04, 04:55 AM
belmontram
Visiting Guest
Thank you for explaining the hum -- since it is tight to the joist, I guess it means the transformer is the problem.

The basement has to be separate so I can't combine them. What about the volts/amps/watts? The loud one is 8vac/10watts. To lower the power to the buzzer, should I go for the lower vac or lower watts? And how do I compare amps and watts?

Old 10-04-04, 02:10 PM
G
Power ( watts ) = amps X volts

Amps = watts / volts

volts = watts / amps

For your application, I wouuld use the smallest transformer and consider styrofoam or similar to muffle the buzzer. Again, a cheap chime would be a lot easier on the nerves.

Old 10-05-04, 06:01 AM
belmontram
Visiting Guest
Switched to chime -- transformer still makes the noise. I am going to look for a single-voltage transformer, not the three-level one I have been trying (8v-16v-24v). Since I don't have the problem with the 16v-15w one, maybe it is the three levels that causes the hum. Will report back in case anyone else has this problem -- not for some days since I ordered the new one online. Thanks for trying to help.

Old 10-05-04, 01:12 PM
G
Don't know where you are picking up the pimary voltage (120 ) but if it's near the existing transformer, you could connect to the low voltage side of it. Power is only consumed when the door button is pushed, and stays on only as long as the button is held in.

Old 10-05-04, 04:24 PM
belmontram
Visiting Guest
I'm not sure I understand that -- the transformer vibrates all the time -- as soon as it is connected to the power line. It doesn't have anything to do with whether the bell is pushed or not. Did I misunderstand something?

Old 10-05-04, 08:01 PM
G
I was referring to your existing 16VAC xmfr. If it is quiet, you could use it to power the new chime as well as the existing chimes.

Old 10-06-04, 04:40 AM
belmontram
Visiting Guest
If I use the same transformer for the basement chime, I thought the other two, upstairs chimes will sound as well -- isn't that right? I need the basement separate - so don't I need two transformers?

Old 10-06-04, 10:32 AM
G
No. The push buttons are the switches which complete the connections to the chimes. each button will only ring the chime(s) it is wired to. Your basement chime is only wired to one button. That will ring it, not the others. Your two upstairs chimes are wired in parallel so that the upstairs button will ring both chimes but not the basement. Hope this is clear.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: