GFCI keeps tripping on hot tub

Old 10-04-04, 08:40 AM
Zeegar
Visiting Guest
GFCI keeps tripping on hot tub

I have a GFCI installed on my hot tub. It tripped over the weekend and when I reset it, it immediately trips. I understand I could have a short in my hot tub motor, but could the GFCI break?

When a GFCI breaks (do they break?) does it continually trip?

Old 10-04-04, 08:56 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A GFCI can certainly break. Usually they break and don't trip at all, but I suppose they could break where they immediately trip.

Is this a GFCI receptacle? Is it a GFCI breaker? Try removing the load and see if the GFCI still trips. If it does not, try using the test button and an external GFCI tester to see if the GFCI is working properly. If the GFCI is found to be working properly then you need to find the problem with the hot tub.

Old 10-04-04, 09:16 AM
Zeegar
Visiting Guest
It's a GFCI breaker. I guess another possible problem is moisture in the breaker. The breaker is under my deck (attached to a footing) and we've had a lot of rain recently (hurricanes passing through). I notice the door was not down over the breaker and I guess some moisture could have made it in the breaker and is causing it to trip.

Is this possible?

Old 10-04-04, 09:40 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, moisture can certainly be a culprit. Allow the breaker to thoroughly dry out, perhaps helping it with a hair dryer, and see if the problem goes away.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: