Getting rid of a light switch

Old 10-08-04, 08:36 AM
Mugsy
Visiting Guest
Getting rid of a light switch

Hi all! I just knocked down my closet and there was a light switch on the wall. I cut the wires and got rid of the switch. Now I have 3 wires coming in: 1 black, 1 red, and 1 white, and 2 wires going out to the outlets: 1 black and 1 white. How do I connect these wires back together so that I get power back to the outlets? And I want to bury this mess under the floor. Is that okay?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-04, 08:43 AM
No, you cannot "bury this mess under the floor" or anywhere. The wire connection must remain in a permanently accessible junction box. Just install a junction box with a blank cover.

To remove the switch,m simply take the two wires that were connected to the switch and connect them together with a wire nut. The other wires should remain as they were.

What did this switch control? Keep in mind that the room needs to have a switch that controls either a ceiling light or a wall receptacle. in most cases you cannot simply eliminate a switch without providing a replacement.

Old 10-08-04, 09:03 AM
Mugsy
Visiting Guest
Thanks for getting back to me so fast. I will not bury these wires, then, but I don't think I need a switch. The 2 white wires were together so how do I hook the 2 black and 1 red wires together?

Old 10-08-04, 09:07 AM
How were they conected before? Where do they go? Where do they come from? What did the switch control?

Old 10-08-04, 09:17 AM
Mugsy
Visiting Guest
They came from the fuse box. They were connected at the switch which I cut out and controled the outlets along the wall. I don't remember how they were connected.

Old 10-08-04, 09:52 AM
What is the wiring at the receptacles? Were all the receptacles controlled by the switch? Was only one receptacle controlled by the switch? Half a receptacle?

I'm not trying to be a pain in the butt, I do believe I know how you should connect the wires. What I am trying to do is to make you figure it out for yourself. And, at the same time, realize the mistake you made. Then, hopefully, you won;t make the same mistake again and you will be able to figure it out on your own.

Old 10-08-04, 11:20 AM
The switch probably controlled 1/2 of the recetptacles. I would connect the blacks and the red together and the whites together. What ever the switch controlled will now be premanently on.

Old 10-08-04, 12:56 PM
Mugsy
Visiting Guest
Hey, thanks for the advice. I'm in over my head, however, so I'm bringing in the calvary.