Switch Controlled Receptacle

Old 10-09-04, 06:28 PM
Switch Controlled Receptacle

I have this switched controlled receptacle. What I want to do is to split the receptacle to always hot/switched. It got confusing because the white (load) wire leaving the switch box thru conduit into the outlet box is somehow now a black wire by the time it is served as the receptacles hot. I was trying to run fish tape thru the conduit but it can never go all the way through. Any suggestions on running another hot to the box through the conduit?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-04, 07:35 PM
There is another box between the switch and the receptacle.

Old 10-09-04, 08:03 PM
It could be that Joe is right. Or maybe something else is going on. Can you tell us all the wires in each box? So far, you've only identified one.

Old 10-09-04, 08:50 PM
electric1,

Without confusing you, let's just back to the basics.

First, for a receptical to work, it has to have 2 wires -- a hot (black, yellow, red, blue...) and a neutral -- white. (The ground is either going to be a bare wire or green.)

To split the recepticle, you need to do exactly that -- break off the tab between the screws on the hot (brass screws) side. Leave the tab between the silver screws alone.

Connect the ground (green or bare wire). Connect the neutral (white wire) to the silver screw side. Connect the constant hot (black) wire to either the upper or lower brass screw, and the switched wire (any color other than green, grey, or white) to the other brass screw.

Old 10-10-04, 05:57 AM
Dependong on thw qwiring it may not be possible to split a duples receptacle in the manner desired without running new wires.

Old 10-10-04, 06:34 AM
There are two wires, a white and a black, that are going into the switch box, from conduit. Now, I tested with my little tester and put a probe from the black wire to the box, and it lit up. Then I put the tester on the white wire to the box. The tester only lights when the switch is on while testing the white wire. Which means that the white wire is the load. Both of those wires go out the same conduit pipe. When I look inside the receptacle box, there is a white and a black. I tested again and the tester lights up with the black wire to the box, but not the white wire to the box. The tester was tested between the black and the white wire and there is a connection, which probably means that the white wire is the neutral.. And there is no ground wire anywhere. The ground travels through the metal conduit.

Old 10-10-04, 06:48 AM
There is another junction box somewhere, in which the wires from the switch connect. You need to find this junction box.

Since you ionly have two wires at the receptacle you want to modify, you will need to add a new wire from the junction box you haven't identified yet (the "missing" box) to the receptacle you want to make half switched.

Old 10-10-04, 06:50 AM
It is possible that the box would be inside the wall? Or is that a code violation if it is drywalled over?

Old 10-10-04, 07:36 AM
It is a code violation to put a box inside the wall, but it gets done.

Are there any other devices near either the switch or the receptacle? The conduit could be going to them. Is there an attic or basement. The conduit could be going up/down there also. Which way does the conduit exit the switch or receptacle? Look in that direction for the missing box.

Old 10-10-04, 07:40 AM
It is a little tricky to pinpoint. The condiut that exits the switch box goes downward. The conduit that enters the receptacle box enters the box from above. We have a concrete slab for the floor. There is a doorway that is in between the receptacle and the switch. The doorway leads to a furnace room with a light on another circuit. And yes there is an unfinished attic above. Any pointers..

Old 10-10-04, 07:52 AM
You could get one of those devices for tracing wires. I don't how ell they work though conduit though.

Looking at the direction the conduit appears to be running take you best guess as to where it might be going and open any boxes in that area. Since the receptacle box goes up I would start in the attic. You could also have more than one circuit in the same box. Don't ingore a box just because a different breaker turn off power to the device in that box.