Lamp Post GFI fault

Old 10-10-04, 09:25 AM
TMClayton
Visiting Guest
Question Lamp Post GFI fault

Hello All - I have rently acquired an 18 year old home in Eastern, NY. We have had a GFI breaker (in the main panel) that has tripped every few days since we've moved in. We've tried replacing the breaker, replacing some aging outdoor outlets and are now looking at the lamp post.

Our attention moved in this direction as we were recently updating landscaping and notice that with watering, we could get the circuit to trip. I'm pretty comfortable that the issue lies with the lamp post wiring. The GFI will trip if we water the lawn/shrubs and do not get the lamp post itself wet. I've located where the wiring leaves the house and inspected the wiring that is in that conduit. It is the grey style cable that I'm thinking is rated for outdoor use. However, I find at the lamp post fixture, I have white cable that reminds of what I see inside a home. There is an outlet on the lamp post that doesn't work. Is it possible that the grey cable comes out to the post and to that outlet, then white cable was used to the lamp from there?

I'm looking for suggestions on how to remedy this. Hoping to avoid having to extract the cabling from the house to the lamp post. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ted

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-04, 12:14 PM
Check the wiring at the receptacle. You will quickly discover if this is where the cable was switched. If not there, then it was switched some place else.

regardless, it sounds like the cable need to be replaced. This is relatively easy to do, but does take digging.