220v connection

Old 10-11-04, 12:05 PM
ChuckL
Visiting Guest
220v connection

I'm a newbie landlord. Our new tenant has a 220v dryer. The house has a 220v breaker box, with three feet of flex conduit, three-wire with a separate ground wire...no receptacle. The previous tenant had the flex hard-wired to the back of their dryer.

The new dryer has a standard 220v male receptacle, but no apparent easy and safe way to hard-wire. Is it legal to add a female 220v plug on the end of the flex? If so, how is the ground connected to the dryer ground screw? ...separate wire?

Or does the 220v receptacle have to be wall-mounted?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-04, 12:15 PM
You must install a proper receptacle at the end of this cable. The proper receptacle will accept a four wire cord and plug from the dryer. If the dryer has a three wire cord and plug then the tenant will have to replace this cord and plug for a four wire version, making the necessary changes to the dryer. The receptacle will have to be properly attached to the wall, which is easy to do.

This, of course, assumes that the cable is indeed a four wire cable (3 wires plus ground) and is the correct size for the dryer. What size is the wire and what size is the circuit breaker?

Old 10-11-04, 12:44 PM
ChuckL
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

Wow! ... a reply in ten minutes! This forum is amazing.

Bob: Thanks for that information.

Your follow-up questions, plus my own nervousness about possibly missing something that might kill someone, has convinced me to bite the bullet on this one, and call an electrician. It's an old house, and probably a good time to check the circuit anyway. I'll stick to 110v D.I.Y. until I learn a bit more.

Old 10-11-04, 01:27 PM
Since the place is a rental, are you even allowed to do the work yourself?

Old 10-11-04, 02:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would assume that, as landlord, he could make repairs, alterations etc. but I've been wrong before.

Old 10-11-04, 02:13 PM
Rules are different for lanlords then they are for tenants. But of course, everything depends on the locality. Certainly a landlord would be unwise undertaking a significant project (be it electrical or plumbing or whatever) without specific training.

However, this is not a significant project and is straight forward. However, given Chuck'sunfamiliarity with 240 volt circuits, it is probably wise to have it done by an electrician. It is not a significant project, and he may be able to get the tenant to pay some of the cost if changes are necessary to the dryer.