Wiring from house to garage

Old 10-11-04, 06:18 PM
agrenvik
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Wiring from house to garage

I am in the process of wiring a garage with a 60 amp service, going from the exisitng service box in the basement. I was told I could use a 6 gauge 3 wire copper wire for use in a conduit, since I am trenching a 18" deep area for the conduit. Also, I found out today that I can use aluminum wire of the same size gauge. Is this correct and will either the copper or aluminum wire be large for a 3/4" PVC conduit? The distance from the house panel to the garage panel is approximately 100 feet. I will be using 3 different fuses at the garage panel. Let me know what advice is necessary. All the switches are on a 15amp and the circuits are on a 20 amp circuit.

Thanks

Anders

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-04, 06:34 PM
If you are going to use conduit, do not use a cable, but instead use three #6 dual-rated THHN/THWN plus a grounding wire. 3/4" Schedule 40 PVC is sufficient, but you might want to use 1" to make the pulling easier (depending on how many bends).

If instead, you want to use cable, use 6/3 UF-B, buried 24 inches deep, and skip the conduit.

If you want to use aluminum (and I highly discourage it), you need #4. Whoever told you that you could use #6 aluminum was nuts.

Are you really going to use fuses rather than breakers?

Old 10-12-04, 03:47 AM
agrenvik
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by John Nelson
If you are going to use conduit, do not use a cable, but instead use three #6 dual-rated THHN/THWN plus a grounding wire. 3/4" Schedule 40 PVC is sufficient, but you might want to use 1" to make the pulling easier (depending on how many bends).

If instead, you want to use cable, use 6/3 UF-B, buried 24 inches deep, and skip the conduit.

If you want to use aluminum (and I highly discourage it), you need #4. Whoever told you that you could use #6 aluminum was nuts.

Are you really going to use fuses rather than breakers?
I meant breakers. The place, who told me was an electrical warehouse, who deals with the public, but mostly contractors. I appreciate the information that was given to me.