Canada Electrical Help

Old 10-12-04, 03:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Smile Canada Electrical Help

Hi guys, i just got a few more questions which you guys might be able to help me with. As ive said before im hopefully moving to Canada in Ottawa, Ontario next July after i finish my second year of my Electrical Installation course in England im 24 at the moment too.

I want to continue my career as an Electrician and have already purchased some regs books offline from Canada so i can get up to speed on everything, most thing ive seen are pretty much the same apart from the voltages and the frequency.

I have been working on Residential & Industrial site in Uk so i have experience in most places. I know that i will require schooling to work for myself eventually, does anyone know the courses that are required and what are the odds of maybe getting a job proberbly an apprenticeship type to help me settle in.

If anyone can offer me any advice, or experiences i would be very greatful to you.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-12-04, 06:40 PM
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: welland ontario
Posts: 8,031
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
In Ontario I don't believe you need a license to work. You just need to have your work inspected like everyone else.
Old 10-14-04, 07:05 PM
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 87
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello Snape what part of the UK are you from. Wife is from Cardiff.

You may want to look at these sites

Each has links to other sites that may help you. There are many others but this will get you started.

I believe that you with get a credit of time toward your apprentiship in Ontario. Just be sure that your records are clear and well kept. Also ensure that you have the names and addresses of all companies that you have worked for ( incase they want to check)

Let us know if you require any other help.

Last edited by Exile; 10-14-04 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-15-04, 01:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks Exile for those links i will be sure to check them out. Im from Birmingham and my girlfriend is from Ottawa, Ontario.

This course im on is C&G Electrical Installation which is basically the qualification to become a qualified electrician here in England, im currently completing my second year which will qualify me. But i could stay another year to get my card to allow me to work for myself, but as im hopefully moving over to Canada i would like to get started over in Canada as i can always complete the last year in Uk if i ever return. I think this is the best way as i wil get the relevent knowledge on a Canadian course which make more sense obvioulsy. I spoke to the board of apprenticships in Canada and they basically told me that the average apprentice age over there is 28 which is amazing as over here its 17, they said basically students seem to pursue careers such as doctors and IT. I myself when i left school did 4 years of IT training giving me a degree but it wasnt where i wanted to be ive always loved electronics so i decided to retrain its never too late, im only 24 though haha.

Anyways thanks for the help and this site is great for info ive learnt such alot about all aspects of US & Canadian Electrical, most are similar to British methods some seem a little more long winded but everyone does things different.

Old 10-16-04, 07:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I found this link as well:

'Red Seal' certification is what you will want to persue in Canada.
Old 10-19-04, 07:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks guys for your replies ive looked at the links you provided me and they have been usefull, i will be looking into Red Seal certification. Also i think that my time spent in England studying and working will also go towards my certificate over in Canada.

I have another question, does anyone know any website that will give me definitions of such cable types eg. NM-B, THNX and such.

Old 10-19-04, 08:34 AM
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 90
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't have a web site, but in Canada we use NMD90 cable ("regular" cable)(non-metallic dry 90 degree). Try seaching using Google. I find this

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: