Wiring an outlet from a lightswitch

Old 10-12-04, 07:55 AM
hspb
Visiting Guest
Wiring an outlet from a lightswitch

Hello,

I am trying to wire an outlet from a lightswitch and I was wondering how to do that. I would like for the outlet to be on all the time, I don't want the lightswitch to control the power to the outlet. If anyone could help, I would really appreciate it. If you would, could you please respond to my email: [email protected].

Thanks
ricky.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-04, 08:19 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You may or may not be able to do this. If the switch is wired as a switch loop then you probably can't do this without adding a new wire.

Tell us ALL (emphasis on ALL) of the wires in the switchbox and how they are connected and we can help you determine if what you want to do is possible or not. Be very specific in your answer, and include all wires, including ground wires.

Old 10-12-04, 08:47 AM
hspb
Visiting Guest
wire outlet from lightswitch

I will have to check the wires and get back to you, i will do this soon.

Thank you.

Old 10-12-04, 09:17 AM
hspb
Visiting Guest
wiring outlet from lightswitch

I have checked the wires and there are three wires coming into the lightswitch, they are black, white and copper.

Old 10-12-04, 09:21 AM
J
Sorry, then you attempted the impossible. You cannot wire a receptacle from this box. There is no neutral wire here (the white wire may look like a neutral, but it is not). Put everything back the way it was, and look for another source of power for your new receptacle. An unswitched receptacle is always a good choice.

Old 10-12-04, 10:55 AM
hspb
Visiting Guest
wire outlet from lightswitch

I also have another outlet that is in the room that i'm trying to run power to, but it doen't work. Are there any suggestions as to how to check it, without getting an electricians tool box? If someone could tell me how to hook up the wires from the wall to the outlet, i will start with that.

I have not checked what these wires are, but i'm sure it is the same as the wall switch.

Old 10-12-04, 11:05 AM
R
Where do these wires come from?

A simple neon light tester is a couple of dollars, and is the only tester you really need.

Old 10-12-04, 05:28 PM
J
Received 236 Votes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by hspb
I also have another outlet that is in the room that i'm trying to run power to, but it doen't work. Are there any suggestions as to how to check it, without getting an electricians tool box? If someone could tell me how to hook up the wires from the wall to the outlet, i will start with that.

I have not checked what these wires are, but i'm sure it is the same as the wall switch.
Receptacles should be wired with the black to the gold screws and the white to the silver screws. Ground goes to the green screw. Only one wire under a screw.