Swithc on wall end

Old 10-13-04, 06:54 AM
gsloat
Visiting Guest
Swithc on wall end

In renovating my kitchen, I am shortening a wall containing a light switch. I would like to shorten the wall to the depth of the refrigerator which is next to the wall. This however would not leave room for the light switch unless I put the switch on the end of the wall. I know this will require some tricky construction to have adequate support but what I am wondering is if there is anything in the electrical code that would preclude puting a switch there? (On the 5 inch end of a wall between two rooms)

Old 10-13-04, 07:56 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
No, code would allow it. However, you will have to specially construct the wall to leave room for it, since you aren't going to want to cut the end stud to make room for it. And you might find that people bump into it accidentally a lot when walking through.

What about putting it on the other side of the wall.

Old 10-13-04, 08:00 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I also suggest that you put it on the other side of the wall, outside the kitchen. My concern is based on someone bumping the switch, as John suggested, and also on aesthetics. It just doesn't look right.

Old 10-13-04, 08:11 AM
gsloat
Visiting Guest
Cool

Thanks for the quick responses. There is a hutch on the other side of the wall. I guess the best answer is to make the wall 6 inches longer just for the switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: