microwave circuit

Old 10-14-04, 12:31 PM
Angry microwave circuit

I installed a new 20 amp circuit for a microwave in my mother -in-law's home. The new microwave keeps blowing the circuit breaker. It blew the circuit breaker when it was on the old kitchen circuit as well

I have it on a new 20 amp circuit breaker and new 12-2 wire and a 20 amp outlet.

My guess is that it's the new microwave that is causing the problem? The microwave is the only thing on that circuit. There is a junction box in this line and it is in a box.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rico

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-04, 12:38 PM
What are the power requirements of this microwave? Is it a new microwave? Has this microwave ever worked?

When does the breaker trip? When you plug the microwave in, or when you power it up? Before you power it up, do the lights work? What about the clock?

Old 10-14-04, 12:52 PM
The microwave is a new 1000 watt microwave. It works most of the time but will trip a breaker a few times a week. It trips the breaker when the mocrowave time is programmed and started.

The lights and clock work on the microwave just fine.

Old 10-14-04, 12:57 PM
There is something wrong with the microwave. Take it back.

This, of course, assumes that the microwave is ALL that is on this circuit, and that you have ruled out the breaker.

Old 10-14-04, 01:00 PM
Are you absolutely 100% sure that nothing else is powered from this circuit breaker other than the one microwave? This isn't a GFCI or AFCI breaker, is it?

If this is a cord-and-plug connected microwave, can you try plugging it in on a different circuit?

Microwave ovens have "input" and "output" power numbers. The number on the box (1000 watts) is the output number. The input number is on a sticker inside the cooking compartment of the microwave. Check out that number and tell us what it says.

There's a possibility that the breaker might be bad. It's not a great possibility, but it's probably worth the five bucks to find out.

Old 10-14-04, 01:14 PM
I wired the circuit myself and I'm positive it's the only thing on the circuit.
Everything is new: wiring, breaker, outlet and microwave.

I'll interchange 20 amp breakers in the basement and see if the different breaker still blows .

Old 10-14-04, 01:16 PM
If this is a cord-and-plug connected microwave, can you try plugging it in on a different circuit?

Answer:

This microwave was blowing breakers on a different circuit before I installed it on it's own line.

Old 10-14-04, 01:39 PM
Ah, now I'm coming around to Bob's last answer.

Old 10-25-04, 02:23 AM
Well folks I exchanged 20 amp amp circuit breakers with the washing machine. It's been over a week and no breakers have blown. Go figure. Nothing else was done except swapping breakers.

Could this be a problem that fixes itself? I hope so. If anything changes I'll let you guys know.