Installing Garbage Diposal? Wiring Question

Old 10-15-04, 02:58 PM
jstrom78
Visiting Guest
Help! Installing Garbage Diposal

I am installing a new garbage disposal on a sink that doesn't have one already. How easy is it going to be with wiring and all.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-04, 07:25 PM
MCMBIC
Visiting Guest
The install of the garbage disposal itsell to the sink should be fairly simple. Most of them have only a bracket that installs to the sink and then the disposal twists onto the bracket to hold it in place. Then using PVC piping, the proper angles and length, you can fit it to your existing drain pipe (don't forget your trap).

The wiring will probably be the trickiest part. You'll need to feed a wire from an existing power outlet to the disposal through a standard wall switch (the outlet should be on a GFCI since it will be near water, most kitchen outlets are). If you can attach a switch right next to the outlet (or another switch) and then go straight down the wall so you wont have to try to pass through any studs. This way you can retrieve the wire through the wall behind a cabinet to hide it from sight. My wire is then covered with metal flex conduit to the disposal for added protection. If you have to feed the wire through a few cabinets, be sure to staple it to the rear, up and out of the way of any sliding drawers or items that may catch onto it. You then hard wire the disposal from underneath using wire nuts and the wires are hiden inside the disposal.

The hardest thing will be running the wire, then the instructions for the disposal will guide you through the rest, and may even give you some tips.

Hope this helps.
MCMBIC

Old 10-15-04, 08:06 PM
You cannot and should not grab any available receptacle to get power from. You should either run a new circuit for power, or chose a circuit that can handle the added load. Since finding an available circuit is not easy, you should consider a new line.

The garb age disposal does not need to be GFCI protected, and in fact should not be. This is overkill, and the motor may very well cause false trips.

Old 10-15-04, 08:57 PM
Do yourself a huge favor and run a new circuit. The only other alternative I would consider is if you have a 20-amp circuit serving nothing but the dishwasher. Skip the GFCI.

Old 10-16-04, 12:52 PM
jstrom78
Visiting Guest
help on this

Ok, so it looks like you say running a whole new circuit for this would be easiest. So I can run this right from the breaker then, which should be easy since the breaker box is not that far from the kitchen area in the basement, is this right. Let me know and what type of wires should I use.

Justin

Old 10-16-04, 01:12 PM
You will need a new breaker for your panel, or an unused breaker. You want a 20 amp breaker. You want to use 12 guage wire. If allowed in your area you want 12-2 NM cable. This cable will have two insulated conductors (black and white) and an uninsulated bare ground wire. The cable will be in a plastic sheath.

It sounds like you are new to this. Before beginning, I recommend that you buy a good book on electrical wiring and learn how to do what you want. Electricity can kill, either directly (a shock) or indirectly (a fire). Working in your main panel is especially tricky if you are inexperienced.

Old 10-16-04, 03:38 PM
jstrom78
Visiting Guest
thanks

thanks for the advice everyone, keep throwing it at me if you can. I can use all the help I can get

Old 10-17-04, 09:46 PM
MCMBIC
Visiting Guest
Sorry to jstrom for the bad advise and thanks to racraft for the correction. I double checked my disposal and found it to be on it's own circuit and therefore would like to apologize for the mistake. I was under the impression it was on my kitchen circuit due to a kitchen light switch being branched off of the disposal swith.

Jstrom, it is on a 20 amp breaker and has 12/2 wire running it. I am pretty efficient at wiring the things that I have needed done (finished of bonus room, shed, extra outlets and switches, etc.) but when it comes to the breaker box I leave it to the pros. I'm lucky enough to have an electrician for a friend that never charges more than a beer, but if you don't have this luxury and are still planning on trying it yourself...be careful.

Once again, sorry for the bad advise.
Trying this again...
MCMBIC