kitchen wiring

Old 10-16-04, 07:22 PM
menderle
Visiting Guest
kitchen wiring

wow just reading through the messages again after not visiting for 2 years, looks like John is still helping everyone out. He helped me 2 years ago when I was doing a kitchen remodel, and was a great help. 2 years later with a new house and a new kitchen remodel I have a couple more questions.
1. I have two gfi's serving my counter outelets. My question is the the breaker is a 20amp with 12-2 wiring. The gfi's are 20a. Can I install 15a outlets down the line of the 20a gfi's? I think I can but I want to be sure and safe.
2. I want to install a switch at the backslash that controls two different outlets on opposite walls, for under cabinet lighting. Would my best bet be to bring power from the new breaker to the switch first? And if so, what is the best way. I think wiring it just as you would two lights controlled by a switch would be best but I just want to make sure. thanks guys

Old 10-16-04, 07:50 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Welcome back.

1. Yes.
2. Yes. Yes.

Old 10-17-04, 05:53 AM
menderle
Visiting Guest
Still confused

OK, I still am not sure how to do this. How do I wire a switch to control two outlets, with the wire going to the switch first? thanks

Old 10-17-04, 09:33 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The same as you wire it to control one receptacle, then run a wire from the first receptacle to the second receptacle.

At the switch the two black wires get connected to the switch. The two white wires get connected together. The grounds get connected together, and to the switch and to the metal box.

At the first receptacle connect the black wires to the brass screws. Connect the white wires to the silver screws. Connect the ground wires together and to the receptacle and to metal box.

At the second receptacle connect the black, white and ground wires to the brass screw, the silver screw, and to the ground screw and metal box, respectively.

Old 10-17-04, 04:42 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There are lots of alternatives, but you asked for the the "best bet". "Best bet" is very subjective, so I gave you my opinion. Although you don't have to run the power to the switch first, doing so is the easiest way to stay out of trouble, and it allows for the most fool-proof connections.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: