electrical installation for microwave

Old 10-17-04, 02:14 AM
Spoilerdave
Visiting Guest
Cool Having trouble installing a microwave over my range

My issue is electrical of nature. The vent fan that was previously installed was hardwired. The microwave is powered by a plug coming out of the top and my outlets are below to both the right and left of where the microwave will mount.

I have two issues that I need to resolve and I'm hoping someone can simply confirm that I would be doing the right things if not maybe present a suggestion for an alternative solution.

I need to "hide" the 24 inches of wire that was used to hardwire the previous fan that is currently sticking out of the wall. (black, white & ground wires) Where the wire currently comes out of the wall it would be in the way and would not allow the microwave to fasten securely to the wall so it needs to be moved or hidden in some manner.

I need to find a way to plug the microwave into an outlet either new or currently existing.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to drill a hole in the bottom of the cabinet above the microwave and run the cord into the cabinet. Since there is not an outlet currently in the cabinet, I'm guessing I need to run the cord that was used to hardwire the fan up 18" or so and install a new outlet inside the cabinet above the microwave. Which would mean cutting a hole in the drywall to install the box. I think that process would include fastening the box to a stud and then routing the wiring through the box and installing an outlet inside the box.

Does this sound like the most logical approach? I am not an electrician and this is my first home so I'm learning as I go. I shut off the breaker for that whole wall and have the wires capped to avoid electrocution. Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated. I'm doing this one solo...

Dave

Old 10-17-04, 08:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 192 Upvotes on 168 Posts
If you look in your manual for the microwave you will probably find that it needs at least a 15 amp dedicated circuit. A dedicated circuit would have no other receptacles on it. It should not be connected to the small appliance circuits serving the counterttops.

Your plan about drilling a hole thru the cabinet bottom etc is essentially correct. There are boxes made that do not need to be mounted to a stud. These are called old work boxes and will mount using wings that flip out behind the drywall.

The old wire should be terminated in an accessible junction box with a blank cover.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: