Using 6 AWG wire at main panel and sub panel

Old 10-17-04, 05:33 PM
agrenvik
Visiting Guest
Using 6 AWG wire at main panel and sub panel

I am using a [email protected] THHN/THWN to wire a detached garage (approx. 35 feet behind house). These wires has been placed in a #40 PVC conduit, in ground 18 inches. . There was no specific contract between the electrician and myself. I asked him for a rough cost estimate to do around 15 switches and circuits. This came out to nearly $1075. Does this sound reasonable? The electrician, who wired my garage, mentioned that he does not prefer this type of wire, since it is hard to work with I did not think so, since I pulled it from the house to garage in the conduit. I also, found that I needed a special adapter for the neutral bus that could handle this gauge wire. The total amperage in the garage is 60 watts, so is it correct to have [email protected] breakers for the lights and [email protected] breakers for the outlets depending on what devices are being used? Can I also setup 220 volts in the garage using the 3 6AWG wires? The house will have a dual 60 watt breaker. Does this scenario sound to be difficult? I paid $94 for a total of 330 feet of this wire, split 3 times.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-04, 05:38 PM
You already did the tough part and you're considering paying the electrician for the easy part. Why don't you just do it yourself?

Old 10-17-04, 07:10 PM
I agree with John. Do this yourself. My opinion would be to put the project on hold a few weeks and read a couple wiring books. Some of the things you say in your post lead me to think you need to brush up on residential wiring. Two books you should have and read are Wiring Simplified and The Complete Guide to Home Wiring by Black and Decker. Home Depot usually has both of them. Read these and you should be well on your way to saving yourself the cost of the electrician.