220 wire conversion to 120volt

Old 10-18-04, 09:09 AM
mywave
Visiting Guest
220 wire conversion to 120volt

I would like to eliminate my hot tub and use the existing 220 wire for 120 applications. Is this ok?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-04, 09:28 AM
You probably can do this, but it most likely is not going to be as easy as you might think. Please be more detailed about your setup. What size wire is this? What size breaker? Where does the wiring run? What do you want to use the wiring for?

Old 10-18-04, 10:57 AM
Unless it's tremendously difficult to run a new line, it's usually not a great idea to reuse what you have. It's doable, but not preferable. The only thing you get to reuse is the wire. You'll need a new breaker and a new receptacle, and dealing with the large wire will create issues.

Old 10-18-04, 11:04 AM
Since you say it is so hard to run a new wire and you want to use it for multiple applicaitons you might want to consider putting in a small sub panel onto the exsisting "large" wires providing that the location is sutable for a panel. This way you can add a decent amount of 120 circuits and not have to run any new wires back to the main panel.

This is of course subject to a large amount of factors including location if a panel is allowed and the size of the wires and the load on your current panel.

Just thought I would throw the idea out there incase you hadent thought of it.