Please help..Connected a heater and broke circuit

Old 10-18-04, 10:47 AM
Please help..Connected a heater and broke circuit

Hi
We bought a new portable heater last night and connected to a wall outlet which I think belonged to a circuit that has Master bedroom lights, TV and part of our kitchen lights. After we connected the new heater, in 2-3 mins, it turned off and so did the TV, DVD player and all the stuff. We also had a very small heater in the MBR which was ON. That also went off and the circuit seems to be off. When I went to the box in our garage, that particular switch was in OFF position and even if I turn it ON now, the circuit would not work. I am not sure what else to do now. The switch has 15 written on it so I guess its a 15 AMP circuit? What is my option now? I am very new to all this so I am not sure if I used the right words here but its a novice's way of explaining the problem. We do not have any TV now and my wife is mad:-(
Any help will be appreciated. I hope its a simple thing.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-04, 10:57 AM
Try turning the circuit breaker completely to the OFF position before trying to turn it back on. Some circuit breakers need to be turned off before they can be turned back on, once they trip.

Also, before turning it on, disconnect the heater that caused the problem, and don't try to use it again on this circuit, or any other circuit until you verify that the circuit has very little load on it. Better yet, have a new circuit run for this heater.

Old 10-18-04, 11:32 AM
A portable space heater uses almost all of a 15-amp circuit. In general, you should plan to run it on a circuit with absolutely nothing else on it.