Subpanel Elimination

Old 10-22-04, 09:59 AM
Glidedon
Visiting Guest
Subpanel Elimination

Thanks in advance for your help!

I have a subpanel that was mounted to the outside of my house ( covered by a shed that will be removed also ) that I want to remove. This subpanel was used for a spa that no longer exists. The subpanel is fed from another subpanel , protected by a 50 amp breaker and and a 4 wire( solid ) cable ( 2 hot wires, 1 nuetrul ,1 ground ).

The only thing connected to the subpanel to be removed is an AC comppressor unit, protected by it's own 20 amp breaker box. The wire running from the AC unit breaker box to the sub panel consists of 3 wires ( red, black , green).

How can I connect the 4 wire cable to the 3 wire lead from the AC unit after I eliminate the subpanel ? The new connection will be in the crawl space under the house.

Thanks Again !

Don

Old 10-22-04, 10:28 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure if you can do this legally.

If you can (and someone else will have to comment on that), you will need to replace the 50 amp breaker with a 20 amp breaker.

Old 10-22-04, 11:52 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the compressor is 240 volts:
Connect the two hots of the feeder to the two hots of the compressor. Then connect the grounding wire of the feeder to the grounding wire of the compressor. Cap off the neutral wire of the feeder. Put all this in a permanently accessible and covered junction box in your crawl space. And then replace the 50-amp feeder breaker with a 20-amp breaker.

If the compressor is 120 volts:
Connect one hot of the feeder to the hot of the compressor. Then connect the grounding wire of the feeder to the grounding wire of the compressor. Connect the neutral wire of the feeder to the neutral wire of the compressor. Cap off the extra hot wire of the feeder. Put all this in a permanently accessible and covered junction box in your crawl space. And then replace the 50-amp feeder breaker with a 20-amp breaker.

Old 10-22-04, 02:28 PM
Glidedon
Visiting Guest
Thanks John and racraft,

It's a 240v system so suggestion #1 sounds good !

Now when that If it's legal question gets answered, I'll get to work on it.

Man, 12,000+ posts between you guys, thanks for your efforts. I'll let you know how it turns out !

Don

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: