Up grade main panel


Old 10-22-04, 12:51 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 16
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Up grade main panel

Recently purchased an older house I would like to add some circuits the present box is full . Present box is of type that has a breaker on each buss. I would rather go to a larger box than to a sub panel. The new box must be relocated is there a way to splice the wires and stay code legal.

Thank you, Bob
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-04, 05:12 PM
ampz's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 536
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What size is the existing service {100A.,150A.,or 200A}? If its less than 200A. then I would upgrade the entire service to 200A. When you ask about splicing wires I assume you are refering to the branch circuit wiring.If so, all that needs to be done is to install a junction box{es} large enough to accomadate the number of wires. Splices will be made in the box & new NM cable {in some cases a few conduit runs can be made here & wires pulled thru} run to the panel. If you do need a new service this is best left to a pro.
Old 10-22-04, 06:38 PM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Although you can relocate the box, most likely the inspector will not allow you to move the main breaker any farther from where the service enters the building.

Doesn't every type of panel have a breaker on each bus?
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: