Wire? Circuit?

Old 10-23-04, 06:20 AM
Jason Lorette
Visiting Guest
Wire? Circuit?

Hi guys...new here..just bought a house 3 months ago and the baby barn where all my tools and my "stuff" is has no power or lighting. I want to run a power run from the circuit panel in the house to the barn and have a plug in the barn and a plug on the exterior...my dad suggested running a "12/3" wire in a conduit under the ground to the barn...the wire run is about 75ft, need an inside and outside plug and I don't have a clue what I need in the panel...

suggestions?

Jason

PS...I want to have adequate power out ther to run lights with a drill, or a grinder, or a compound miter saw or the like without having the lights dim or tripping breakers.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-04, 07:44 AM
A 12-gauge multiwire circuit sounds perfect for this. Bury schedule 40 PVC conduit 18 inches down and then pull dual rated THHN/THWN 12 gauge copper wire (black, red, white, ground) through it. Or use 12/3 UF-B cable direct-buried 24 inches deep without conduit. At the panel, connect it to a double-pole 20-amp breaker. At the barn, split this into two circuits in a junction box using two runs of 12/2 cable. Put a disconnect switch (an ordinary 20-amp light switch) as the first thing on each cable, and a GFCI receptacle as the second thing on each cable. I can't promise you that the lights won't dim at all when you start up your saw, but the dimming will be slight and short.

All of the above assumes that you won't be running more than one large tool at the same time, and that you won't be adding a freezer, planning to do any welding, planning to add any heat or air conditioning, etc.

The setup described above provides upto 4800 watts of power. If you will ever want more, you should put a subpanel in the barn instead. This would suggest you run 6/3 UF-B cable 24 inches deep from a 60-amp double-pole breaker in the main panel to a subpanel in the barn, with a grounding rod.

Which of these you do depends on how you want to balance current cost with future expandability. An accurate prediction of your future needs is criticial to prevent disappointment.