ceiling fan two switiches

Old 10-24-04, 09:31 PM
uncle creepy
Visiting Guest
Question ceiling fan two switiches

I want to use two switches for my ceiling fan 1 for the light and 1 for the fan how do I wire this up? Ceiling fan has 1 black and 1 white and 1 blue and 1 green wire. I know what each wire does but hooking up the switches throws me off. I want to start from scratch.Please help thanks

Old 10-24-04, 10:39 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
For you to be able to do this...

you need four wires in your ceiling box, (usually red, black, white, green/copper). They also have to be by themselves. If you have this cable you can do what you want.

There are a lot of variables here. Are you replacing an exisiting light with a fan/light? How many switches control this light? Where does power from the circut breakers come in from...the wall box or ceiling box?

If you only have three wires in the ceiling, you may want to look at a remote control that mounts at the fan.

Another option would be to run new cable between the wall switch box and the ceiling box.

I'm not really trying to make this complicated, but we need to know what is already there.

Old 10-24-04, 10:45 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry I may have misread your ..

original post? If this is a completly new circut, you'll need two normal wall switches, a double gang box (for the wall), a ceiling box with a special brace (ask for a fan box, they'll know what you're talking about), a legnth of 14/3 cable to reach from your wall box to the ceiling box, source of power (wire to a circut breaker, another outlet, etc.) use 14/2 cable to reach there.

Various wire nuts, save your scrap legnths of wire for pigtails.

Ceiling connections: White to white, red to blue(blue is from fan, will control the light), black to black (fan motor), ground to ground.

Wall connections:

Use the power wire and your 14/3 going to the ceiling. White to white, ground to ground and to the switches! (Use a pigtail if needed).

This part gets tricky, two normal wall switches, what you will need to do is to pigtail the black power wire and (one black coming in, two out) and connect one wire to the bottom screw of each switch.

Then connect the red wire to one switch (will control the light). The black wire from the ceiling will connect to the other switch. (fan motor control).

You should be in business! If still no joy, check the basics, pull cord for fan speed, reversing switch fully up/down, all connections tight.

Good Luck and post back with problems, questions, or success!

Last edited by Desy2820; 10-24-04 at 11:26 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 10-25-04, 06:33 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You said that you wanted to "start from scratch". Nobody really starts from "scratch" unless all the walls in the house are open to the studs. If this is what you have, then Desy's advice is good. But if "scratch" isn't really this far back, then the best advice for you depends on exactly from where you are starting.

Old 10-25-04, 09:21 AM
uncle creepy
Visiting Guest
Thanks I'll give it a try. By the way all the walls that I'm working on are down to the studs.

Old 10-27-04, 04:40 PM
uncle creepy
Visiting Guest
It worked thank you very much. Now on to my next project

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: