Fuse box question

Old 10-25-04, 06:15 AM
Kevin Wood
Visiting Guest
Fuse box question

Hi all. This summer I moved into my first home and quickly discovered that the wiring in it is almost all crap. I've been working on fixing it up myself slowly and safely.

The house has a 100amp fuse panel which I'll eventually get a contractor to replace, but meanwhile I'm trying to get as much life out of it as I can.

I don't know all the correct terminology, so I'll try to describe the situation as best I can and I apologize for the length of this question.

Aside from two large 60amp fuse blocks for the stove and garage sub-panel, the panel consists of 10 rectangular plastic housings. Eight of these housings have two each of the screw in fuses. The remaining two have plug in blocks containing two cartridge fuses each. The blocks are labelled as 30amp.

Both of the plug in block housings are not currently in use. All of the screw in fuse housings are in use. I want to free some of these up for extra circuits since some of the current circuits seem really overused.

One of the screw in fuse housings is feeding the water heater. This housing employs a device such that you have to pull out both fuses at once in order to get at either of the fuses. The water heater has a 12/2 wire coming into the panel, and the black wire is connected to the top terminal on this housing while the white wire is connected to the bottom terminal. If I am reading this correctly, it means that the water heater has two hot wires, a ground wire, but no neutral wire. I am assuming that this is correct, although I don't really understand it.

My question (at long last) is: can I take the wires off of this housing and put them onto one of the plug in block housings instead and then use this as two 15amp circuits?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-04, 08:12 AM
The answer is maybe.
What size is the cable to the heater? What size is the current fuses the heater is connected to?
What fuses are inthe new block you need to connect to?

You need to be connect to the same size fuses. If that can be accomplished then you can make the change. The heater is 240 device that is why you have not neutral wire. The white sire is being used a s a hot wire.

Old 10-25-04, 09:48 AM
Kevin Wood
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by joed
The answer is maybe.
What size is the cable to the heater? What size is the current fuses the heater is connected to?
What fuses are inthe new block you need to connect to?

You need to be connect to the same size fuses. If that can be accomplished then you can make the change. The heater is 240 device that is why you have not neutral wire. The white sire is being used a s a hot wire.
Thanks for the info about the wires. I understand the two hot wires now.

The heater uses 12/2 and is currently connected to two 15 amp fuses. The fuses in the plug in box are 15 amp (I'm pretty sure, I'll have to double check).

Would I be correct in assuming that the right way to make sure about this would be to 1) verify that the two cartridge fuses in the box are 15 amps each, and 2) verify that when the plug in fuse box is in the panel that the terminals are both putting out 120 volts?

Old 10-25-04, 05:53 PM
Answer to #1 - Yes

Answer to #2 - the two terminals on the cartridge fuse block should have 240v between them. they should have 120v from hot terminal to ground.

Identifying the new fuse location for the water heater should also be done.

Good luck with your project.

Old 10-26-04, 10:41 AM
Kevin Wood
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by bob100
Answer to #1 - Yes

Answer to #2 - the two terminals on the cartridge fuse block should have 240v between them. they should have 120v from hot terminal to ground.

Identifying the new fuse location for the water heater should also be done.

Good luck with your project.
Thanks. Turns out that the fuses in the plug in blocks are 30amp, so I'm going to forget about those. I found that some of the wires attached to a couple of the screw in fuses go nowhere, so I'm going to get rid of those and free up a couple of circuits that way.