Lights go on and off by themselves

Old 10-25-04, 12:32 PM
mags3
Visiting Guest
Red face Lights go on and off by themselves

Hello everyone,
I am not a do it yourselfer (single Mom) but need to know if this is a serious problem that needs an electrician or just an annoyance. I have trouble reading the panels (2) as most of the paper is worn off.
I have a hall light with two switches. Sometimes the light comes on, sometimes it doesn't when we switch it on and sometimes it goes on or off by itself through the night if left on. Same for a bathroom below it that is probably on the same breaker.This does not happen all the time. The hall light has been doing this for about a monthand the bathroom just started doing it two days ago. We also have a light in the family room ( not on same breaker, one is a dimmer) and it has been doing it for months......
any help greatfully accepted
maggie

Old 10-25-04, 12:52 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It could be the switches, it could be the breaker, or it could be the wiring somewhere else.

I would start by examing the switches to see if they are bad or if the wiring to them is loose.

Old 10-25-04, 02:16 PM
mags3
Visiting Guest
Thanks for response, so does this represent a fire hazard of any kind?

Old 10-25-04, 02:36 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, intermittent operation implies a poor connection. Poor connections are often associated with heat and sparks. Heat and sparks increase the fire risk, although it doesn't mean your house is going to burn down tomorrow. Check all the boxes as soon as possible.

Old 10-25-04, 05:57 PM
mags3
Visiting Guest
Thanks all!

I will call an electrician...appreicate responses......

Old 10-26-04, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Very good choice. While he's there, ask him if you have aluminum wiring.

Doug M.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: