Dryer outlet

Old 10-25-04, 12:43 PM
kmcneil
Visiting Guest
Angry Dryer outlet

Just moved into a fixer upper, Found out after moving in that I will have to replace the dryer outlet due to the fact its a three prong instead of todays 4prong. My question is, Do the copper goes into the "L" shape or does the white, or does it matter? Hope U can help.

Old 10-25-04, 01:36 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You do not normally have to do this replacement. You may install any dryer on a 3-hole dryer receptacle merely by attaching a 3-prong cord-and-plug to your dryer. All dryer installation instructions should show you how to do this. It involves connecting some sort of bonding strap or wire.

You do, however, need to replace the receptacle if you are replacing all the cabling between the panel and the laundry room. If you do that, then the red and black get to connected to "X" and "Y", the white to "W", and the bare to "G". The "W" is the L-shaped slot. The "G" is the D-shaped hole.

Old 10-26-04, 04:26 AM
kmcneil
Visiting Guest
Talking Thanks

Hey thanks alot John I really appreciate the info, everything worked out fine. I guess its on to the next project, the bathroom. By the way I had to replace the receptacle an wiring which wasn't to bad of a job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: