Need Help

Old 10-26-04, 06:34 PM
Roger37
Visiting Guest
Need Help

I have been doing renovations on my home over the past while. Today while I was using my skill saw I tripped the breaker so I went and reset it and had no power back to the outlet. In fact I have no power to the whole circut. There was a GFCI on one of the plugs that was tripped so I tried to reset it but it would not reset. I used a tester that I have and it reads the I am get power on the hot wire and the neutral wire. What would cause that?

Roger

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-04, 11:29 PM
Tell us more precisely what your tester "says".

If you mean that you can read 120-volts from hot to ground, and also 120-volt from neutral to ground, it simply means that you have an open neutral. This is really a very common occurrence. A white wire, probably a backstabbed (wire poked into hole) white wire, has some loose from some receptacle on the circuit. Shut off the breaker and move all backstabbed wires to the adjacent screws in all the outlets on the circuit.

Old 10-26-04, 11:37 PM
hex2k1
Visiting Guest
Roger did you unplug your skill saw before reseting? some of the newer gfci's have a lock feature that does not let you reset until you unplug whatever was pluged in. that might be the reason you read voltage when you checked it but nothing downstream worked.

Hey John you beat me to the post i thought i was the only one awake at this hour

Old 10-28-04, 09:50 AM
Roger37
Visiting Guest
Thank you

Sorry I could not get back to all that responded to help me but I was called out to work. I found the problem and it was in one of my outlet box. I think the netruel was crossing to the hot wire. As soon as I pulled the wires out everything was back to normal. I am going to put electrical tape over the wire nut to keep that from happening again. All part of learning. haha. I see on this site that there are a lot of people that are there to help and I think that is great. I will remain a member of this site indefinately. As I have more wiring to do and know that I will be asking for more help. One item I need help with is how to run power to two or more light switches that will controll different lights? If I don't respond back for awhile it is because I have to go out of town for a few days for work but I while get back to you all when I am back. thank you.

Roger

Old 10-28-04, 10:04 AM
There are numerous ways to run power to two or more switches. It would be better for yout soi describe your application, rather than for us to speculate or generalize.

Specific details that you should mention:

Is this a completely new circuit, or are you trying to add to an existing circuit? If existing, what is presently in place?

Are these switches to be in the same location, or different locations?

What lights will these be controlling (location)?

Are these to be normal switches? Dimmers? 3 ways?

Old 10-28-04, 11:45 AM
Roger37
Visiting Guest
The main double box will have two seperate dimmer switches in it one controlling the livingroom light and one the diningroom light. I have power to one switch in that box already. Just a normal switch at this time but will be changing it to a dimmer.Then need to get power to the second dimmer, then from there I need to run power to another box for a light in the pantry. This is on a new ciruit.

Old 10-28-04, 11:45 AM
Roger, you didn't fix your problem. You just disturbed it enough to make it go away temporarily. And electrical tape won't fix it either. You need to actually remake the bad connection.

Old 10-28-04, 11:49 AM
Roger37
Visiting Guest
John

I did take the wire nuts off and remake the connections in the box. Then put electrical tape over the wire nuts after screwing them on to keep them from ever slipping off or coming loose. is that right?

Old 10-28-04, 12:03 PM
Sounds great. However, a properly applied wire nut is not going to slip loose, with or without tape. Personally, if I found a wire nut that was loose, I'd throw it away and put on a brand new one.

Old 10-28-04, 12:21 PM
Roger37
Visiting Guest
Thanks John

I have to head out to work soon but when I get back I will replace those wire nuts. That makes a lot of sense what you said. I have never known a wire nut to come off if it is put on right. I am knew at this so maybe I did not have it on right in the first place? I know the wife is happy to have the lights back in the kitchen. haha