slight flicker-track lighting

Old 10-27-04, 02:03 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy slight flicker-track lighting

I recently installed some low-voltage track lights and I have an intermittent problem. There are 5 fixtures using roughly 250 watts on a 600 watt Lutron dimmer, on certain levels of dimming (just about anything but full brightness) a fixture occasionally flickers slightly. Its nothing I've seen before, different fixtures seem to do it at different times, so its not a manufacturing problem...seems like repositioning a fixture will sometimes stop the flicker, but another fixture might start up just when I think they're all fixed. What might cause this? The flicker is very quick, like the lamp is suddenly losing some voltage and getting it back immediately, and it happens -not regularly- but roughly every 2-5 seconds. Thanks.

Old 10-27-04, 02:14 PM
sjr
Visiting Guest
I know many (most?) dimmers change the waveform of the AC current which often causes the filament to vibrate slightly. This could cause the appearance of a flicker.

Old 10-27-04, 02:29 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You might try a different brand of bulbs.

Old 10-27-04, 03:13 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds to me like the transformer is not compatible with the dimmer. Find a suitably rated dimmer. Info may be stamped on the transformer's label or in the documentation that came with the track.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: