Ghost in electrical system? Help?

Old 10-30-04, 09:24 AM
old_chipper
Visiting Guest
Ghost in electrical system? Help?

I been chasing an electrical problem for a month now. I live in home that is feed by a 200amp main panel. It feeds two panels. The old part the home has a 100amp service, and the new addition has a 100 panel. All copper wire. Here is the problem.
For the past month, both sides the house have had circuits, flicker, or seem to lose power. this lasts for 5 to 6 minutes then they return to normal. I have checked for loose wiring. I just can't believe 8 breakers in 2 panels would be going bad at the same time. But I have never seen anything like this before. I wired this house myself, so I know everything meets the codes.
I use to teach code classes at the local college.
Just to made this a little clearer. When it happens, the lights slowly dim, sometimes they just stay real dim other time they go all the way out. 8-10 later they come back on full bright.?? Never all the circuits at once.
Any thoughts????

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-04, 09:31 AM
Is your service overhead? Do you problems occur when the wind blows? If the answers are yes, call your power company. If the answers are no, call your power company anyway.

Old 10-30-04, 05:21 PM
old_chipper
Visiting Guest
Cool Problem found!!

Put a volt meter on each main line at the CPS meter. The next time the lights dimmed I ran out to the street, just in time to see one of the lines take a dip to 20volts, stayed there about 3-4 minutes. The other line was normal. Took a while to get the lady at CPS to accept, that I knew what I was talking about. When the service truck arrived, the guy took one look at the transformer and started describing my problem. He said the old #10 should have replaced years ago. In 15 minutes they had put in a new one and were on their way. All is well now!! I'm still not sure why only some of the ckts would fail and not others. Seem like all on that leg would have been effected?? Makes you go huh!!!!!!!!!!!