Ceiling Fixture

Old 10-30-04, 02:54 PM
Ceiling Fixture

My dining room 8 bulbs ceiling chandelier went dead the other day. This fixture is been there for more than 25 years and I donít think I changed bulbs more the twice. I checked with a circuit tester and I have power at the single wall switch. I disconnected the fixture at the ceiling where the chandelier is connected and tested the black / white wires for power but my circuit testerís light is glowing very dimmed. What does this mean? At the switch the tester is glowing like any regular 120V circuit but at the ceiling you can hardly see the light on the tester. Thank you all

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-04, 02:58 PM
Did anything in the dining room, or on the other side of any wall shared with the dining room, change? Anybody hang a picture? Mount a bookshelf? Repair some siding? Walk around in the attic above this room?

Old 10-30-04, 03:13 PM
What wires at the switch did you test?

Old 10-30-04, 09:12 PM
Ceiling fixture

Nothing has changed in this room, above it or around it. The wires at the switch seems (it is an old house and it is difficult to say if the wires are black & white without disconnecting the switch) to be 2 black wires. I touched with my circuit tester the 2 connections at the switch where the 2 wires are connected. The switch is the original one, a very old switch. Is it possible that there is something wrong with the switch? I donít want to change the switch yet until I know what the problem is. I also forgot to mention that this dining room light is connected to a circuit protected by a 15A circuit breaker and this breaker has not been tripped. Thank you