Access Required to Junction Box?

Old 10-31-04, 12:13 PM
Access Required to Junction Box?

I am running some 20 amp circuits in a home. There are some situations where several outlets will be on the same circuit. The easiest configuration would be to run a wire from the breaker to a junction box and then from the junction box out to the several receptacles that will share the breaker.

My question can the junction box be buried behind the sheet rock or do I need to provide access to it?

Thanks,
David

Last edited by Montanaro; 10-31-04 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-04, 12:25 PM
In no circumstances can a junction box be buried. This, among other reasons, is exactly why they are rarely used. I would argue exactly the opposite point as you. The use of a junction box as you describe would make the job much harder, not easier. I recommend you just daisy chain the outlets as everybody else does.

Old 10-31-04, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info. I was afraid I cound not bury a junction box.

The reason why I was trying to avoid daisy-chaining is I was trying to keep as much separation as possible from Cat5 cables for datacom. I am running shielded Cat5e so hopefully that will help avoid interference.

Thanks,
David

Old 10-31-04, 02:43 PM
A foot of separation is plenty. Cross at 90-degree angles where necessary. This should not be very hard to achieve.

Old 10-31-04, 04:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you are running shielded cable which is properly installed then interference should not be an issue.

IMO this whole interference problem is way over rated. Meaning I have seen jobs which were terrible as far as data cabling goes and interference was not a problem.
In fact I have yet to run into a problem with interference in a residence.
Commercial is different with transformers, hundreds of fluorescent lights, etc.

Old 10-31-04, 05:34 PM
A double gang box with a blank switch/outlet (plastic) cover would work as a junction box. I would put it at outlet height. Get the deep box, not a shallow box.