Question on breaker box?

Old 10-31-04, 12:25 PM
Pokyden
Visiting Guest
Question on breaker box?

Hi Everyone! I'm new here and am hoping you can give me some info.

I just bought this house and when I installed a breaker for my shop, I found that one of the two ground bars had white flacky stuff all over it and the screws were so tight they wouldn't move. Is this from getting to hot or what? Is something hooked up wrong? Is this dangerous?

Nothing felt hot in the breaker box but I need to know if I need to do something!

All help is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-04, 02:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That white stuff is oxidation of the aluminum components. Most likely from moisture, not heat.
If it is that bad the box should be replaced. If the service is more than 25 years or so old then I would recommend repacing the whole service, not just the panel.

Old 10-31-04, 03:50 PM
Pokyden
Visiting Guest
Re: Electrical panel

Thanks for the reply.
Supposedly, the box is approx. 5 or 6 yrs. old. I guess there could have been some moisture in the panel at one time but other than the white stuff, there's no indication of any now and it's just the one section of grounding bar that is affected.
My main worry was that it could be overheating for some reason and cause a fire.
Thanks again.

Old 10-31-04, 04:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As long as the panel cover is on and any holes are blanked up it is safe.
As for the white stuff even if it is that new it might still be advisable to replace it. Depends on how bad the oxidation is. I have seen lugs completely turn to powder they got so bad.
An on site evaluation is the only sure way to tell.