Adding a switch to an outlet

Old 11-01-04, 11:25 AM
Adding a switch to an outlet

I am replacing a single light fixture in my basement with (2) fluorescent lights. I want to remove the old single bulb fixture and put in an outlet in the ceiling to plug the new lights into. I will need to add a switch to turn the lights on.

Any ideas on how to wire this? The outlet will be in the middle of a run, so there are wires leading in and out of the box.

Thanks for the help!

John

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-04, 11:33 AM
I am not sure what your comment about the receptacle for the light being in the middle of the run means. That is not important.

Instead of connecting the white black and ground wires directly to the receptacle, instead run the black wire to the switch first, where it is switched.

Use 14-2 cable (use 12-2 if this is a 20 amp circuit). Run the cable from the ceiling box to the location for the switch.

At the ceiling box there are three (or more) wires that connect to the light, but they should be in three sets. The black set is hot. The white set is a return. The bare set is the ground. Connect the white set to the silver screw on the receptacle. Connect the bare set to the green ground screw on the receptacle. Connect the black set to the white wire that runs to the switch. Use a black marker and color this white wire black, or wrap a piece of electrical tape around it, you are re-identifying it as hot. Connect the black wire that goes to the switch to the brass screw on the receptacle.

At the switch connect the black wire to one screw terminal on the switch. Connect the white wire (marked with black to re-identify it as hot) to the other screw terminal on the receptacle. Connect the bare ground wire to the green screw on the switch and to the junction box, if it is metal.

If for some reason you don't have a ground wire then post back. You will probably need to rethink your plans.

Old 11-01-04, 04:53 PM
Thanks, I will try this tomorrow. I have 14-2 cable already. I want both outlets on the receptacle to be switched, does this change anything?

If I can summarize and ask a few questions...

- The two white wires at the light go the the silver screw. Both to the same screw?

- The two black wires at the light get connected with the white wire from the switch and are attached to the receptacle. Which screw?

- The black wire from the switch gets attached to the brass screw on the receptacle.

- The ground wires are easy.

Thanks, I appreciate the assistance.

Old 11-01-04, 05:52 PM
If there are two white wires already present then connect one to each silver screw of the receptacle.

The two black wires just get connected to the white switch wire. They do not connect to the receptacle.

The black wire from the switch gets connected to either brass screw on the receptacle.

Old 11-05-04, 06:53 PM
PERFECT!!

Followed your instructions and everything works fine!!!

THANKS!!!