Help with garbage disposal PLEASE

Old 11-02-04, 11:45 AM
Lost1
Visiting Guest
Help with garbage disposal PLEASE

Help!! Iam trying to put a disposal in my home, an insinkerator. Iam trying to wire it thru an existing unused electrical socket GFCI to a new switch on cabinet. Socket is on circuit with several other unused sockets. Keeps kicking reset on socket. Wired directly from disposal to extention cord not working. Anyone know if there is a reset on disposal or anyone ever found one not working right out of box? Thanks , my wife is awaiting your help if you know what I mean ! Thaks again

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-04, 12:07 PM
Do not put a garbage disposal on a GFCI.

Make sure that you are wiring it correctly. It sounds like you may not be. How did you wire it?

You cannot use an extension cord. It must be wired with a cord and plug or hardwired.

This cannot be on the same circuit as your kitchen counter top receptacles.

Last edited by racraft; 11-02-04 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-02-04, 12:19 PM
There is a red reset button on most disposals. It's usually kicked by a thermal overload.

I suspect that you may be putting this on a circuit serving countertop receptacles. This is prohibited by the U.S. National Electrical Code. It is more common to put a disposal on a separate circuit, or to have it share a circuit with the dishwasher.

Old 11-02-04, 03:34 PM
Lost1
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Yes I was trying to put it on same circuit as countertop, thanks for code info. I was jerry wiring it with the extension cord to try and make sure disposial was working. Sounds like my best bet is to go to dishwasher circuit. This was my first time at the forum but the info was good and easy to understand so I will be back with other questions I'm sure. My house is brand new and there are all kinds of projects to do. Thanks again you all were very helpful.

Old 11-02-04, 05:53 PM
If you're going to be doing any electrical projects, pick up a copy of the $6 green paperback "Wiring Simplified" in the electrical aisle at Home Depot. Read it cover to cover (except the chapter on farm wiring unless you're on a farm). Electrical work is no place to just start making things up. There are proper and improper ways of doing things. In many cases, the proper ways are no more difficult than the improper ways. But you cannot do them the proper way unless you know what that is.