Help - 60 amp GFCI circuit - Help with Grounds

Old 11-03-04, 07:52 PM
CurtTerp
Visiting Guest
Question Help - 60 amp GFCI circuit - Help with Grounds

I have a hot tub that requires a CFGI 60 amp circuit. My old hot tub only required 40 amps, so I had to replace the wires and GFCI box.

My setup is this.......... from the sub panel, I have a cut off switch to kill the whole circuit if needed. I have run 6/3 wire from the cut off to the GFCI breaker at the porch. From there, it runs to the hot tub.

Question on the grounds to the GFCI receptical. Since I have 6/3 wire ( wihich is a bear to work with) I have the two hot wires, and the third wire running to the third spot of the GFCI..... and the ground wire running to ground....................... the third wire has been run to ground at the hot tub along with the ground wire. The third wire also is run to ground from the sub panel to the switch to the GFCI breaker box

Where am I going wrong here? The GFCI is shutting down when the circuit is energized................

Help in any form is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-04, 08:10 PM
You are saying there are 3 wires...but what colors? If is truly 3 wire there should be red,black,white,& bare or green.Plese note you are working in a LIVE panel {even if you shut the main off the terminals at the main are LIVE!!}.If you have any hesitation about this dont attempt it, call a pro.
In the panel the connections to the GFCI breaker should be : red & black to each side of the breaker,white from the GFCI breaker to the neutral-bar in the panel,the white from the 6/3 {NM?} gets connected to a terminal directly above the white wire coming out of the breaker.If these connections are done correctly the problem may be a defective breaker,or a bad pump.Good luck be careful.

Old 11-03-04, 08:19 PM
The receptacle should be wired like so: for a 3 wire receptaclle white gets connected to the center terminal, red & black each go to the remaining 2 terminals,ground or bare gets connected to the box.A 4 wire receptacle has 1 extra connection for the ground then goes to the box also.

Old 11-03-04, 08:20 PM
CurtTerp
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by ampz
You are saying there are 3 wires...but what colors? If is truly 3 wire there should be red,black,white,& bare or green.Plese note you are working in a LIVE panel {even if you shut the main off the terminals at the main are LIVE!!}.If you have any hesitation about this dont attempt it, call a pro.
In the panel the connections to the GFCI breaker should be : red & black to each side of the breaker,white from the GFCI breaker to the neutral-bar in the panel,the white from the 6/3 {NM?} gets connected to a terminal directly above the white wire coming out of the breaker.If these connections are done correctly the problem may be a defective breaker,or a bad pump.Good luck be careful.

Wires are white, black, red and bare ..........

When I wired from the panel to the switch, the power was off... Way to much respect for 220

NM?? not sure what you are saying there.. but the wire is twisted strand ( except the bare wire.

The way it is wired is white and black are the hot-hot, red and bare to ground from the subpanel to the cut off switch. Then white and black hot-hot to the breaker. Red and bare are ground from switch to ground on GFCI breaker. From the tub, white and black hot-hot to the breaker hot. Red and bare from tub ground, bare to ground of breaker box, and red to the terminal just above the white wire. White wire from GFCI to ground.

Looks like other than not using the correct color code, I have all the connections correct..

thanks for the information.. guess I need to look again

Old 11-03-04, 08:41 PM
The whole set-up is wrong & potentially fatal.First off there is no ground on any breaker.What is the voltage & amperage rating of the "cutoff switch"? It must rated for at least the voltage/current in the circuit.In this case it would be rated at 300 volts 60 amps no less.This is not a small switch but a disconnect. A grounding wire can be no other color but green or bare,or green w/yellow stripe.Red & black can only be used as hot wires,the white only as a neutral. Not to sound condescending but before you get in over youre head {no pun intended} call a pro.

Old 11-03-04, 08:47 PM
CurtTerp
Visiting Guest
Poor choice in words.. the cut off is a disconnect that is rated for 300 and 60 amps

and the ground is the grounding bar in the breaker, and disconnect box

and I will check with the pro down the road if he is home tomorrow........

and literal over my head is a big pile... cause I do stand 6'6"

Thanks for the help