adding receptacle

Old 11-10-04, 06:04 AM
x2exercise
Visiting Guest
Smile adding receptacle

I have a receptacle that is in a closet in my bedroom , I would like to add one in the room since the closet one never gets used.

This is what I want to do, I want to use the receptacle that is in the closet, since I am only putting the outlet 6ft from that one but on the outside of the closet, I want to know if its is ok to just run wires from the closet receptacle to the new outlet the wires would be run around the inside of the closet door then into a new box that i would put thru the wall .

If this is ok how should do i wiring, the circuit breaker in the basement is 20amps. thanks for any help

Old 11-10-04, 06:28 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A 20 amp breaker requires 12 gauge wire.

You connect the wire to the existing receptacle, and run to the new receptacle, where you connect it to the new receptacle. Black wire to the brass screw side, white wire to the silver screw side, ground wire to the green ground screw. You can only have one wire under a screw, so you may need pigtails.

However, you cannot simply run wire along the baseboard. The wire must either be enclosed in the walls, or it must be in conduit. Do you have access to the walls from above or below? You can run new wire up into the attic and then down the new wall, or you can run it in the basement below.

Your options for exposed wiring will require either conduit or something like wiremold, so that the wires themselves are not exposed.

Old 11-10-04, 06:47 AM
x2exercise
Visiting Guest
Ok this is what I will be doing disconnecting the outlet so i have bare wires, pigtail the new wire to them., run those wires through a conduit to the new receptacle and wire that receptacle.

what kind of receptale box should be used, and also do they make a cover with a hole in it so I could run the new wire thru it but covering the front of the box

Old 11-10-04, 12:27 PM
use wiremold which is a surface mounted raceway. I would use a box extension to bring the box out above the surface of the wall. Then run wiremold arround the wall to another surface box. Drill through the wall and run a short piece of conduit through to another surface mount wiremold box on the side of the wall. You can put outlets in all three boxes if you want, or just cover with a blank plate. PS. strip the jacket off of NM wiring before running it in wiremold or use individual THHN conductors. (12GA Copper)

Old 11-10-04, 01:09 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Don't strip NM. That's not legal. Although you may have heard that the wires inside NM are THHN, they are not approved for use as such. Besides, the risk of insulation damage is too high.

Old 11-10-04, 04:32 PM
thanks for the clarification

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: