Electrical Circuit Confusion

Old 11-06-04, 10:35 AM
kevin2412
Visiting Guest
Electrical Circuit Confusion

I am trying to break down an electrical circuit that has my living room, family room, and part of my dining room on it. The junction box has 4 (pairs) lines in. When In connect the pair from the break to any of the other 3 pair the only thing that works is the outlets in the dining room. It appear that all 3 pairs on wired in some kind of circuit and can't be broken apart into separate circuits. Need some serious help.

Old 11-06-04, 10:53 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Let's call your power supply cable P, which has a black wire and white wire.
Let's call the other three cables in the junction box A, B and C, each of which has a black wire and a white wire.

Okay so far?

So are you saying this:
  • When you connect P to A (leaving B and C unconnected), you have power to the dining room but no power to the living room or family room.
  • When you connect P to B (leaving A and C unconnected), you have power to the dining room but no power to the living room or family room.
  • When you connect P to C (leaving A and B unconnected), you have power to the dining room but no power to the living room or family room.
Is that correct?

Old 11-06-04, 10:56 AM
kevin2412
Visiting Guest
John, Yes that is correct.

Old 11-06-04, 11:02 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense to me. I'll have to leave this problem for somebody else.

Old 11-06-04, 11:08 AM
kevin2412
Visiting Guest
Doesn't make sense to me either. I have never seen anything like this. I can only get to the one junction box everything else is behind drywall. Although there is another place that lines tap into one of the 3 lines. Say line "A" there are 2 more lines tied in about 5 ft from the junction box, just wire nutted and taped no junction box. I haven't tried messing with them since I found this problem. I figure this was enough to deal with at present.

Old 11-06-04, 03:43 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you have wires nutted together with no junction box then you have a serious code violation and fire hazard. This sounds like someone didn't know what they were doing.

Since you have found this, I recommend a serious investigation to determine exactly how this is wired. Yes, this will probably involve some holes in the drywall. However, that's a fair price to pay for peace of mind. You do not want to leave this situation alone, and you don;t want to use it until you know what is going on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: