Stringing wire.....

Old 11-06-04, 09:37 PM
CookeATC
Visiting Guest
Stringing wire.....

If I am stringing wire in my basement for outlets, do I need to run it through the studs or can I just run behind them?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-04, 06:52 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by behind the studs. Is the are behind the studs a small gap between the basement wall and the studs? Is it an unfinished area of the basement?

Wiring for new installations must be supported. What this means is that when running along a stud it must be stapled to the stud. When running perpendicular to the studs, the support is by running through the studs. Wiring must also be protected.

If you are talking about between the outside wall and the studs, then I would say that you must go through the studs, or at least through eveyr other stud, so that the wires are supported.

If you are talking about in an unfinished area of the basement, then you probably can't run behind the studs either, as the wire would be exposed and unprotected.

Old 11-07-04, 07:03 AM
CookeATC
Visiting Guest
Thanks, that's what I figured... It is an unfinshed area at the moment. I am working to finish it. Just was trying to save some time...

Old 11-07-04, 09:06 AM
It's very common when running cable along the exterior walls in a basement to run the cable through every other stud and behind every other stud. If your studs are 16" o.c., you could even run it though every third stud. The cable only needs to be supported every 4.5 feet. The cable should not actually touch the foundation as it runs behind the studs.