Your opinion on IDEAL push-in connectors

Old 11-07-04, 06:01 AM
nd1232
Visiting Guest
Your opinion on IDEAL push-in connectors

I came accross "push-in" connectors made by IDEAL, as a replacement for wire-nuts. The ones I looked at were 3 port, rated for 300v / 20 amp, and accept wire from 18 to 12. They come in 2, 3, and 4 port. I see advantages in their use, especially when working with short wires in the box. A major disadvantage is that they can not be disconnected without cutting the wire. I was wondering what the opinion of a professional was on these connectors.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-04, 08:12 AM
Better than backstabs, but expensive and not as good as wire nuts. Not for me.

Old 11-07-04, 08:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The push-in connectors can be removed without cutting the wires. The wire needs to be twisted back and forth while pulling outward.

This is not a big deal since they are listed for one time use only.

The clear body will help someone see that the wire is seated fully into the connector unlike twist-on connectors.

I have not had one call back on any of the jobs I have used these on.

Old 11-09-04, 11:14 AM
I'm with John Nelson on this one. While I appreciate pcboss's thus far spotless record of using the push-ins, after all the discussions John and I have participated in on this forum, regarding back-stab receptacle problems, I would personally avoid them. But I also admit I am an old-fashioned guy and I tend to stick with tried & true. My $0.02.

Juice