GFCI Coverage and Wiring Question

Old 11-09-04, 06:45 PM
Red5
Visiting Guest
Question GFCI Coverage and Wiring Question

Several posts inthe forum lead me to believe that a single GFCI can cover any number of recepticles/lights; but in my Home Depot's 'Wiring for Dummies', it states that the number of devices should be limited to 4 or less.

I would like to replace the existing recepticle in the bathroom with a GFCI as well as add another recepticle along side it. After looking at the run, I found that down the line form the outlet, there are two lights, a fan, and 7 outer recepticles. I don't really need to cover anything else but the bathroom recepticles.

- Can I just install a single GFCI so it covers everything down the line?
- Should I install two GFCI (covering just themselves)?
- Is there a way to wire a GFCI and a standard recepticle so the GFCI will cover itself and the recepticle but nothing else down the line?

If it matters, the wiring coming into the existing box are two hot, two neutral, and a ground.

I am a novice. So far, replacing like for like hasn't been very difficult or taxing(replacing recepticles, fans, switches, lights, etc).

I apreciate any help. Thanks.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-09-04, 07:06 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Follow the GFCI manufacturer's instructions. Most place no limit. I'd go ahead and install it to protect everything down line. If you have trouble with tripping, you can alway rewire it later. You can certainly have the GFCI protect only itself and the regular receptacle next to it if you want. Wire both of the existing black wires (via a pigtail unless the GFCI has two line side hot connections) to the "line hot" connection on the GFCI. Wire both of the existing white wires to the "line white" connection. Run two jumpers from the load side over to the standard receptacle. Pigtail the grounding wire(s) to both devices.

Old 11-10-04, 04:38 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You will find it easier to NOT provide GFCI protection to the balance of the circuit and to just provide downstream GFCI protection to the new receptacle. This way you won't have to identify which of your incoming wires is the line side and whis is the load side. Wire as John has stated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: