middle of run receptacle question

Old 11-09-04, 07:36 PM
Question middle of run receptacle question

In my garage I have 2 lights and 3 outlets on a breaker. I am installing low voltage lighting outside and I need another receptacle. I am wondering if I am able to add another receptacle to a middle of run receptacle. The builder used the push ins on the receptacles and I want to add another wire to the screw terminals on one, so this one receptacle would feed two others. Is this legal? Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-04, 08:07 PM
A better way is to disconnect the wire ends that are the "push-ins" from the receptacle, then wire-nut your new wire plus a pigtail (a 6 inch length of same color wire) together with the two existing wires. Then connect the other end of the pigtail to the side screws of the receptacle. Do this each for the black, white, and ground wires.

The push-in connection(also called back-stabbing) is not a reliable connection. It's allowed, but it's not good workmanship. To release the backstab connection, push a small screwdriver into the slot next to where the wire is inserted, then pull out the wire.

Good luck with your project.

Old 11-10-04, 03:36 PM
It is legal to do what you want. Pigtails is a better solution as stated above. Only one wire per screw is allowed. That is why pigtails are recommended.

Old 11-13-04, 05:12 AM
Thanks

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be working on it this weekend.