NEC on Breakers & Plastic vs. rigid conduit

Old 11-10-04, 08:51 AM
NEC on Breakers & Plastic vs. rigid conduit

Does anyone know if there’s a requirement to match the manufacture of a panel and breakers in a given panel installation? Say GE panel to GE breakers or Murray to Murray?
I have been told by my wholesaler that I can't mix breakers if I wanted to pass inspection.
Also, If I go underground with the plastic conduit do I have to use schedule 80? Or will schedule 40 do the job?
I was told by my wholesaler that I could use 40 underground but coming up to the box I would have to use schedule 80 if I wanted to pass inspection.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-04, 10:00 AM
Jon

You are only permitted to use circuit breakers that have been approved for your panel. There are two ways that this can happen.

1) The panel manufacturer determines that the breaker is acceptable. In this case the breaker type will be listed on the panel label.

2) The breaker manufacturer gets UL to determine that the breaker is acceptable. In this case the breaker is called 'classified' for use in the panel.

If you use a 'classified breaker', be prepared to show documentation that it is suitable for the panel. If you cannot provide this documentation, and the inspector doesn't know that the breaker is correctly used, then you will fail the inspection.

See, for example, http://www.eatonelectrical.com/unsec...A00304001E.PDF

SCH 80 PVC is required where subject to physical damage. Coming up out of the ground, where there is a risk of getting hit by lawn-mowers and the like, is a perfect example.

-Jon

Old 11-10-04, 12:06 PM
That pretty much nails it.
Thanks!