GFI outlets

Old 11-10-04, 02:41 PM
GFI outlets

Went to see my neighbour's kitchen yesterday which is being remodeled. He has three double outlets on the wall above the counter and four regular wall outlets, one being for the refrigerator and one below the sink for the garbage disposer. His electrician put all GFI outlets everywhere even though all are on the same circuit (even in the two-gang boxes two GFI outlets are side-by-side). I didn't want to tell him that this was quite a waste of money and I don't think it was a violation of the code. However, aren't GFI outlets for the refrigerator and garbage disposer suspect to unnecessary tripping?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-04, 03:21 PM
There are several issues here.

First and most important: It is against code to place regular wall receptacles and an undersink receptacle on the same circuit as the countertop receptacles. There also must be at least two circuits serving the countertop area. What you are describing will not pass inspection. Your neighbor should demand that the kitchen be wired to code.

Now for the GFCIs themselves. It is not a code issue to have too many GFCI receptacles. However, for just the reason you mention, it is not suggested to place refrigerators or garbage disposals on GFCI circuits.

Old 11-10-04, 03:34 PM
i'm no electrician, but i read your post and here's my two cents

not only is it not necessary to have GFCIs on a refridgerator circuit (as racraft said) i would say it is undesirable. imagine if that circuit gets interrupted while your friend is away for a while. he comes home to find a rotting stinking mess in his fridge. who wants to be checking constantly to make sure the circuit didn't get accidentally tripped and that their fridge has electricity? for that reason alone your friend should have the contractor re-wire to avoid this

kevin

Old 11-10-04, 04:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Forget having this guy re-do it, lose him!
Any real electrician who puts ALL GFI devices, including the refer and disp, in a kitchen is not a real electrician. I wonder what other fun things were done by this guy.

Old 11-10-04, 06:26 PM
Might be a multiwire circuit. Might be that the remodel did not include opening up the walls. Might have been wired according to old codes.

Old 11-12-04, 08:31 PM
Saw my neighbour today. He had a friend over and they pushed the TEST button on all the GFI outlets and none of them worked. They then found out that two of them had no power, none of them were grounded and half of them had the hot and neutral reversed. So he is getting another electrician to take care of the problems.

Old 11-13-04, 04:51 AM
I think your use of the word "another" is incorrect and/or being generous. Whoever wired that setup as you described is no electrician.