Wiring and breaker problems

Old 11-11-04, 07:23 AM
Wiring and breaker problems

I am trying to run power to my shed by my house. The shed is only ably 10 feet away from the house. I want to install a dusk til dawn light, a light switch, a power outlet(standard house outlet), and an over head light. I have inserted a breaker in the breaker box and ran the wiring to the shed underground. Last night i was installing the dusk til dawn light and the breaker blew. now it wont switch to either position its just kind of loose i guess you could say, like it wont click when i turn it on or off. anyway when i hooked it up i first tried doing the simple white to white and black to black and flipped the breaker but nothing. so i turned the breaker back off and put the ground wire in with the black wires and turned the breaker back on and it blew the nut off the black wires. The fixture i have is a regent MS37 and it said that it could have a max 150 watt bulb in there so thats what i got was 2 150 watt flood bulbs. too much? anyway i was wonderin if anyone could help me out with the wiring. i think that it is a 120v 30 amp breaker. I would like to have it set up this way, I want the floodl ight to always have power to it and also the plug outlet, then i want the inside light to work with teh switch. BTW i thought that you could run the ground with the black wire? any suggestion with this delema would be greatly appreciated. i think that the wiring is 10 gauge nmc, it is all copper wires(black, white and ground wrapped in grey) if you need the specifics on it i can get it.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-04, 10:00 AM
A breaker that won't reset is either: (1) broken, or (2) still detecting a fault. If (1), replace the breaker. If (2), find the short. Although (2) would normally seem more likely to me, since you said that the breaker won't even move to the "off" position, perhaps (1) is more likely.

so i turned the breaker back off and put the ground wire in with the black wires and turned the breaker back on
If you did that, you should very carefully evaluate whether you really have the skills and knowledge to do this job. Connecting a ground wire to a black wire is really nuts! This job isn't worth killing a member of your family!

i think that it is a 120v 30 amp breaker
This is nuts too!

Please stop now and do not continue this project until you have read three books on home wiring. The worst outcome here is that you get it to work, but kill someone later because it's not working safely.

Old 11-11-04, 10:13 AM
I agree with John.

You have made too many mistakes on very basic portions of this installation. I have very little confidence that you have the knowledge to do this job properly.

Electricity is dangerous. You could very easily burn your house down or kill someone.

Several immediate observations:

Connecting a black wire and a ground wire is always wrong.

A 30 amp fuse to a shed for a general purpose circuit is wrong. A 30 amp fuse can only feed a subpanel or a device that specifically calls for 30 amps.

What type wire did you use for this circuit? Where did you run the wire? Underground? In conduit?

Old 11-11-04, 06:19 PM
the wire i have is awg 12 cu 2 cdr with awg 12 ground type of-b 600 volts sunlight resistant. the breaker has a 30 on the switch itself and says 120/240 v and is type TIPO. as someone stated earlier in the thread to read 3 books, what 3 book smight someone recommend? i have pictures of everything that i am trying to install and would send the pics to anyone that feels like helping. my email address is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx just email me and i will send the pics. Im not sure if what i said earlier corresponds with the specifics of whatever the wiring and breaker means but what i did was went to lowes and told them exactly what i wanted to do and this is what all they gave me. also a couple of questions were asked to me in the above statement and these are the answers: as far as the wire im using i stated taht above and in previous post, the wire is ran under ground through a piece of conduit and up into the shed through a hole that i drilled through the concrete. any other questions?

Last edited by twelvepole; 11-11-04 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Posted email address
Old 11-11-04, 07:16 PM
Any three books on home wiring will do. Your home center will carry several. You can also enter "home wiring" into the word search at your public library. Browse the ones that are there and pick up the ones that seem to make sense to you. If you want a specific recommendation, start with Black and Decker's Complete Guide to Wiring. Home Depot's Wiring 1 2 3 is pretty good too.

Old 11-11-04, 08:04 PM
Hate to pick on Lowes...or any other big box store.....but I've said it before...and I'm sure I'll say it again................don't ya think that if the "electrician" at Lowe's knew what he was talking about...he wouldn't be working at Lowe's.....if I had to guess I would say he meant (or he SHOULD have meant) for you to use the 30amp breaker to feed a sub-panel in your shed, then split everything from there to your various devices (light, receptacle, etc.).....but even before doing that....PLEASE read up on basic wiring...or call a licensed electrician. I know someone, somewhere is going to say..."but this is the do it YOURSELF website"....true...and with MOST things I'm all for doing it, or trying to do it, yourself...but on the other hand...MOST things can't kill you or your family, or someone you don't even know, not only while your doing the job...but months...years....or decades(and several home sales) later

Old 11-12-04, 04:22 AM
I still am not sure what type wire you have. Is it NM-B? UF? Is it indivudual wires? A Cable assembly? You may not be able to use this wire installed in conduit. How deep did you bury the conduit? What type conduit is it?

But I am sure that 12 gauge wire cannot be used with a 30 amp breaker. And I am sure that you cannot use a 30 amp breaker on a branch circuit.

You got bad advice at Loewes.

You may need to start over from the beginning.

Old 11-12-04, 06:32 AM
i think i remember something about non metallic, its grey overall and inside the grey part it has three wires, a black one, a white one, and the ground which is just a plain copper wire. all the wires are copper. i buried the conduit about a foot deep and the conduit itself it i would assume the typical grey pvc like piping. what i sent in the previous post is all that the wire had on it. also i was looking in my breaker box and most of my breakers are 30 amp..BTW i live in a trailor. does that make a difference? the breakers range from 20 to 30 i i even think that there is a 15 in there somewhere.

Old 11-12-04, 07:38 AM
If this is NM (non-metalic sheathed cable), you cannot run that wire outdoors, and you cannot run that wire in conduit. To run wire in conduit you need individual conductors.

If you have 30 amp breakers on regular circuits that serve lights and rdceptacles, then you have a fire waiting to happen. I suggest that you get this corrected immediately. Trailer fires are not pretty and are usually fatal for anyone inside.

So to sum this up.

You got bad advice from Loewes. Return what you can and get your money back.

Bring in a professional electrician to inspect your setup and have him or her correct any problems found. Do this ASAP.

Have a professional install a circuit to the shed.

Old 11-12-04, 02:33 PM
can anyone tell me exactly what i need in order to do the project that i have described above? Wire names and breakers.

Old 11-12-04, 02:59 PM
Sight unseen, nobody can tell you exactly what you need. We can point you in the right direction, and answer your questions as you go along. But that's why we recommend that you study up, because you need the skills and knowledge to know how to adapt any information we could give you for your particular situation.

Furthermore, there isn't just one way to do it, so you'll have to make tradeoffs depending on your needs and budget and future expectations.

One (of many) way to do it is using a single-pole 20-amp breaker of the right make and model for your panel, and some 12/2 UF-B cable. You'll also need some 3/4" PVC conduit to protect the cable while above ground, and an assortment of wire nuts, cable staples and electrical boxes. You'll also need a GFCI receptacle, or the breaker you install will need to be a GFCI breaker. If the shed is dry, you can use 12/2 NM-B cable inside the shed instead of the UF-B. You should get a building permit before starting from your local building department. While there, you can ask them if NM-B and UF-B is approved for use in your area.