power cable and phone in conduit

Old 11-12-04, 07:26 PM
mhicks
Visiting Guest
power cable and phone in conduit

Im running 100 amp service to my garage from main box in 1-1/2 conduit is it ok to run phone line, cable, and computer ethernet cable in same conduit?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-04, 07:56 PM
Absolutely not. It's against code. It's dangerous. And most of all, you don't want to. It may cause interference in the communications lines. Keep the communications lines at least a foot away from the feeder. You can bury them in the same trench if you want, with the communications lines a foot higher, or a foot to the side. Or you can bury them in a separate trench.

Old 11-13-04, 10:12 AM
Savant
Visiting Guest
I definately agree with John. Mixing household voltage with ANY other kind of wires is a no-no. It's like storing poison in the children's bedroom, you just don't do it - it's only asking for trouble.

If you're bugged by the low voltage telephone/ethernet run, why not consider using wireless? Unless the building is really far away, your phone and ethernet could be served from inside the house. The cableTV line wouldn't be covered in this manner, but would you really need it?

Should you want to go with running the low voltage lines, use a separate conduit with appropriate distance from the household line conduit as John advised. You may want to add in an extra thermostate wire (18/2) for possible use as well. I have found many people wanted to have an intercom but didn't consider it when running lines.

Will you be going overhead or underground with this?

Regards,

Savant