New Home owner

Old 11-13-04, 07:26 AM
Motojoel
Visiting Guest
New Home owner

I have been reading things here for a while, amazing how helpful people are.

Just bought a 1950 ranch home, has 60 amp service with fuses. There are only 4 circuts for the entire house.

First thing is a contrator is coming out to replace the service and installing a breaker box. The breakers will be attached to existing circuts. What I am planning after that is to put in the branches myself. The home is 3 bedroom, 2 bathrooms. It is just my son and I, we can have a few rooms down at a time (no electric) for the project. I was thinking that I would disconnect one current branch at a time and rewire them to 2 or 3 branches.Does this sound like a proper idea?

Also, the plaster in the home is in very nice condition and I was wondering if it is plausable to rewire the house, fishing wire through the walls from the basement. My worry is that I will not be able to remove all of the old wiring from the wall, that there would be chunks of old wiring in the walls (code issues?) and that I could not secure new wiring to studs (code issues?)

Am sure to have alot of questions here.

To let you know, I am comfortable with working with electricity, have done a lot in industrial settings, but not used to the residential thing.

Absolutely any comment would be appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited by Motojoel; 11-13-04 at 03:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-04, 08:18 AM
Your plan is sound, and is the same plan that has been followed by many others before you.

You need not remove all the old wire. Remove as much as you can.

You need not staple the cable to the studs for wires fished through finished walls. This is an allowed exception to the normal stapling rules in the code.

Be sure to completely understand the residential codes before you start. This new work must comply to the codes in effect in your city on the day your permit is issued. Ask how long the permit is good for and how often you must call for inspections. You would normally have at least several years to get this done under one permit. I recommend the $6 green paperback "Wiring Simplified" in the electrical aisle of Home Depot. It gives you a concise summary of most of the codes you need to know.

For a large project such as this, I recommend you also buy one of the more expensive and comprehensive books, such as "Wiring a House", which pushes $100.

Old 11-13-04, 03:30 PM
Motojoel
Visiting Guest
Will find the first book, get that. As far as the second, since you and the others know this stuff, I'll pocket the hundred and ask far too many questions of here.

Seriously, thank you for the advice. If anyone else has anything to add/contradict I would welcome that also.

Thanks again

Old 11-13-04, 07:39 PM
Unhappy

John is correct about understanding codes before you start. Each room has its own codes. Requirements for GFCI are also important to know before starting. Also, proper methods for running cable is important to know.

Another excellent text is "Electrical Wiring Residential" by Ray C. Mullin. It runs about $50.00 and has detailed explainations for wiring a house to current codes. It sounds silly, but reading is much easier than trying to correct errors later.

Good luck with your project.